i7 920 Problem

Yo!

So a friend of mine has a i7 920, not overclocked running at about 46°C idle. So the problem comes when I run any test )OCCT/Prime95) and the temps get up to a whopping 90°C and even more in an instant (using Coretemp for temperatures)!

I don't rly know what could be causing the problem, but it could be a software problem because from 45 to 90°C in like 5 seconds sounds kinda impossible to me! Another thing could be the thermal paste. Oh and the CPU runs on stock cooling aswell!

Thankyou!

i'd say the heatsink is mounted wrong. try remounting it ;)

We shall try that! :D BTW, what thermal paste do you reckon would be the best? Or shud I get just a ordinary thermal paste for a stock cooler?

We shall try that! :D BTW, what thermal paste do you reckon would be the best? Or shud I get just a ordinary thermal paste for a stock cooler?

Well I use the Noctua stuff, NH1 or w/e it's called. It came with my d14 heatsink & it just happens to be one of the better pastes available :thumbsup2:

I also use the Noctua NH-1 paste, according to comparison charts I've seen you cant do much better than that! That said, if you're on stock cooling and all, it doesnt really matter what you get, so long as its not peanut butter.