New Build (looking for advice)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no experience with water so I won't comment on that. What I can comment on is the memory and processor.

Memory: Get a 6GB (or 12GB if you do lots of multimedia work) triple-channel kit meant for the X58 chipset. 4GB DDR3 dual-channel sets are meant for AMD and lesser Intel chipsets.

Processor: Don't even consider the 940. The 930 will likely perform exactly the same as the 940 saving you a couple hundred $$$.

I have no experience with water so I won't comment on that. What I can comment on is the memory and processor.

Memory: Get a 6GB (or 12GB if you do lots of multimedia work) triple-channel kit meant for the X58 chipset. 4GB DDR3 dual-channel sets are meant for AMD and lesser Intel chipsets.

Processor: Don't even consider the 940. The 930 will likely perform exactly the same as the 940 saving you a couple hundred $$$.

thanks but i thought this was triple channel memory.

I'm using the compatible list here http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/Memory...ga-x58a-ud7.pdf

what does the triple channel column represent?

As for the 930 and 940 i again am going on the compatibility list i found on the board. If i go with the ud7 board it only shows the 940 as being compatible. Please advise.

2 [ Ripjaws ] F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM $$114*2 $$228

That kit is 4 gigabytes and dual-channel: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...1-303-_-Product

As for the 930 and 940 i again am going on the compatibility list i found on the board. If i go with the ud7 board it only shows the 940 as being compatible. Please advise.

The 1366 pin processors (i7-9XX) will fit into and function with all X58 motherboards. Currently the i7-930 is the best value. This is not just my opinion either :)

You won't find much difference using dual channel vs triple channel. If you buy another 2x2GB kit in the future, your 8GB will be in triple channel mode. My 2x2GB kits used to be $65 10 months ago, so it was a great deal. It's around $100 now, but could fluctuate lower in the future. I always recommend to get what you need now, then get what you want later when you find a good deal.

Get the i7 930.

thanks guys this really helped

but can you guide me about cooling the northbridge.

should i worry about adding the northbridge to my loop thus buying GA-X58A-UD7

Edited by DatsMagic

You won't find much difference using dual channel vs triple channel. If you buy another 2x2GB kit in the future, your 8GB will be in triple channel mode. My 2x2GB kits used to be $65 10 months ago, so it was a great deal. It's around $100 now, but could fluctuate lower in the future. I always recommend to get what you need now, then get what you want later when you find a good deal.

Get the i7 930.

i just reread this. So your saying if i buy 2 kits 2x2g i'll be in triple channel mode? because tha'ts what i was planning to do. its not the memory thats dual channel its having the 3 memory sticks in the 3 slots. Right?

Edited by DatsMagic

i just reread this. So your saying if i buy 2 kits 2x2g i'll be in triple channel mode? because tha'ts what i was planning to do. its not the memory thats dual channel its having the 3 memory sticks in the 3 slots. Right?

Correct. Although you'd want at least 3 sticks to be the same RAM. For example, I use Crucial's 2x2GB CT2KIT25664BA1339 kit. The 3x2GB CT3KIT25664BA1339 uses the same modules. So if I buy another 2x2GB CT2KIT25664BA1339 kit, and just put one module with the other 2x2GB kit, it basically becomes the 3x2GB CT3KIT25664BA1339.