Temperature Monitor for Socket 775 CPU?

I just recently upgraded from a P4 HT CPU (I know, lame) to a Pentium D 920 (I know, STILL lame). I have it overclocked about 10%, just a modest 3.3ghz. I only paid $25 for the CPU so I don't need it to last long, but I'd like to keep it for a lil while to make into my file server when I upgrade to a new build this summer. When I bought the CPU, I picked up a Cooler Master V8 for $15 (wouldn't pay the price for a new one, but this one is just like new with all mounting stuff so I figured a fair deal). So I think I have a decent cooler for the kind of budget build I'm on right now. lol

I recently was trying to use several programs to pick up the temp of the CPU so I could monitor it. I have had no luck at all. I've tried the latest version of CoreTemp but it came up saying unsupported processor. I tried CPUID Hardware Monitor, it is showing a reading, but I have a real hard time believing with 5 system fans, the decent heatsink, and a very cold AC'd room that the chip is running at 117c. I know the Pentium D's run hot, but if that's accurate, WOW.

Is there any available free app that would pull the cpu temp? HardWare Monitor is saying my sensor is: Winbond W83627THF. I'm running Windows XP Professional x86, and my motherboard is a MSI P35 Neo.

If the temps in CPUID HardwareMonitor are accurate at 117c, what's the max safe temp for this 925 chip? I'm used to my previous build of a Q6600 that had a chilly idle temp of 40c even with a 1ghz overclock. o.O

Thanks for any help that you may be able to provide.