New Build

TheConqueror

Hey everyone

My father needs a new computer and we decided to build one. I have been off the computer seen for a bout a year. I dont really know what are good CPUs now, Im assuming Core i3/i5 is mainstream? Or did they turn out to be a flop? Anyway I picked out this build, and am looking to see if everything is OK with it.

Antec 300 Case

Intel Core i3 530

OCZ 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM

OCZ StealthXStream 500W PSU

Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H Motherboard

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB HDD

So how is this build?

I think it looks pretty good overall. Be a nice little system for your father, the CPU will provide plenty of horsepower for any graphical work he will do. Plus, if he needs more, just pop in a video card and he'll be set. Will you be reusing the optical drive from the old pc?

I think it looks pretty good overall. Be a nice little system for your father, the CPU will provide plenty of horsepower for any graphical work he will do. Plus, if he needs more, just pop in a video card and he'll be set. Will you be reusing the optical drive from the old pc?

Yes the old optical drive will be rused. I also have a spare ATI Radeon 4350 I'm going to pop in for him to use fot solid works. Is this system the best bang for the buck?

Yes the old optical drive will be rused. I also have a spare ATI Radeon 4350 I'm going to pop in for him to use fot solid works. Is this system the best bang for the buck?

Its ok,

But for solid works I would bump up the processor a tad.

yeah, I really would not recommend a stealthXstream... Mine died in less than 6 months. And it went out with an acidic burning smell like it was about to catch on fire or something... tons of other people have had the same kind of experience.

Would a 500W Antec PSU be enough to power this system?

Also, I have a stick of DDR3 1600 RAM left, can I buy another stick of DDR3 1600 and use it with the first stick? Will this cause any problems since they are different brands?

Edited by TheConqueror