Windows 7 Starter Edition on Netbooks

Great_Gig

Just trying to find out if anyone has Windows 7 Starter Edition on a Netbook?

I am looking to buy a new netbook with this O/S installed, but I also want to purchase an SSD to replace the HDD, I like the Intel X-25V but it's only 40GB. Storage isn't a problem as I will only be using it for emails and the net, but my current version of Windows 7, with day to day stuff installed is using nearly 35GB on my desktop boot drive. If anyone has it, how much drive space is it taking, it may help if anyone can also say what programs they have installed.

I'm pretty sure if you reduced the size of the Recycle Bin, Temporary Files, etc, it wouldn't be so big...

My 1000H is pretty heavily installed with development software (Adobe apps, Visual Studio, etc) and Windows+ProgramFiles=23.5GB (Users folder is an additional 9.15GB, some of which is probably a Linux ISO or other downloads)

And it's 7 Ultimate...

I have a 10GB partition for Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix which I would recommend highly for a Internet/Email laptop, unless you have a specific need for Windows only apps, like maybe you need Outlook to allow proper Syncing or... something

I have a 10GB partition for Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix which I would recommend highly for a Internet/Email laptop

Had not heard of this cut-down version of Ubuntu, I think I will give that a try - sounds perfect and I may not need the SSD with this.

Did you have any problems with your Wireless drivers on the 1000H - I'm probably going for the Eee 1001P?

+1 for Ubuntu. The 10.04 is great. Take a look at Eeebuntu also.

Also, a 64-bit install will take much more space than a 32-bit only, as it has to have both libraries. So I'd guess you have a 64-bit edition on your desktop. Your netbook will have the 32-bit. On mine, my Windows partition occupies 14.8Gb currently, and I only have a few apps installed, as my main OS is Eeebuntu.

BTW, the Atom N450 CPU is x64 capable, so it's stupid a bit to ship it with an OS that does not exploit this capability. You can get many programs in their x64 version, which will benefit of the nice performance boost. Firefox is one example. So if you install a Linux distro, make sure you take a 64-bit compilation! :)

Good luck man.

Did you have any problems with your Wireless drivers on the 1000H - I'm probably going for the Eee 1001P?

Not with the stock wireless card (Realtek?) and not with the Gigabyte (Atheros) card I replaced it with... if the drivers weren't already in it, it must have been so easy to install from LAN or USB that I forgot I had to do it

Netbook remix has a few (well, quite a lot) of GUI tweaks/changes that make it a lot easier for me to use apps/OS than plain/untweaked Ubuntu... the tabbed apps + the "full screen start menu" (w/e it's called) made it an instant winner for me