silent cooling for i7 920

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should mention that If I ordered it from back home and shipped it here, it would probably end up costing about the same just for the shipping and take longer to get here... if it even passed customs w/out being taxed 21%...

Or should I drive to Austria? Road trip!!!

:D

Can't you just order it from Austria or Germany or something?

http://geizhals.at/eu/a478667.html

Perhaps... I shall have to ponder a day on that. :)

One last question related to this machine and OC.

any RAM recommendations out there?

I want a min. of 6Gb RAM would like 12...

My current Memory (64bit vista)

Memory Capacity 3GB DDR3

Memory Spec 1GB x 3

Memory Slots (Available/Total) 3/6

so I have 6 slots and only 3 filled with 1Gb each...

to get to 6Gb, is it as simple as buying any DDR3 sticks and filling my empty RAM slots? or is it trickier than that? (specially when it comes to overclocking it.)

ok... did not get RAM yet. but have the Corsair TX650W and the Noctua D-14 sitting next to me...

running some temp/speed benchmarks now before I tear this baby apart and start the new adventure. :D

think I can get from current 2.66 to 4 w/out buying new RAM? :unsure:

I did an ambient screenshot, then an unbiased render for 15mins on 1 thread, then unbiased render on 8 threads.

here are the numbers... unfortunately, I have very little understanding of them. Where can I go to give me a tutorial on understanding how to OC my i7?

post-71374-1271082725_thumb.jpg

post-71374-1271082745_thumb.jpg

post-71374-1271082760_thumb.jpg

Edited by 3DCGdesign

Several links for i7 overclocking;

i7 Overclocking Guides

RAM

Specifically with the i7 920 you should look at a matched kit of 3X2Gb DDR3 1600 memory. Pick your poison here, OCZ-Corsair-Mushkin-G.Skill whatever is available there. My nod going to the G.Skill stuff for price versus performance. Specifically the 6GBPI series with 8-8-8-21 timings. Excellent memory at a super price point.

I don't think the OP has installed the new power supply or heatsink yet......

I read his post as saying that the parts were beside him (but not necessarily installed :)) Hence the reason he was taking some stock benchmark results before he "tore this baby down".

I hope I'm right.........

hopefully, I took sitting next to me as "sittung next to me in my rig" so we shall see :ph34r:

thanks for the replies!!! and tips about RAM. it's very expensive here... may have to wait to get back to the states. I looked into Mr. Staypuft's RAM setup and it's not even avail. from any store in this country. :rolleyes:

hopefully, I took sitting next to me as "sittung next to me in my rig" so we shall see :ph34r:

:rolleyes:

they are not installed! just back from week vacation... still trying to get my (huge) fam. to bed so I can spend some time on this...

just was trying to get some "before" benchmarks with this stock newegg "gamer" setup (I don't game. just render)

ps- here's the current RAM setup :unsure:

methinks it sucks. :cry:

is there any hope to even get to 3.8 with this RAM?! must have been the cheapest ddr3 ram they could find at the time... I had never considered overclocking when I bought the machine. :angry2:

post-71374-1271098586_thumb.jpg

post-71374-1271099056_thumb.jpg

Edited by 3DCGdesign

Hey,

All isn't lost. Currently you are running your RAM at fairly tight timings and 1064Mhz. But CPUz shows that your RAM has the capability of running 1333Mhz by relaxing the timings (see column JEDEC #3). Using the correct memory multiplier you might be able to push your BCLK and keep your memory running at or slightly above/below 1333Mhz :)

I'd certainly play with it first before running out and buying new memory.

Edited by wevsspot