silent cooling for i7 920

1- Can I cool this thing very quietly for under $100? (LGA 1366)

2- Is it as simple as disconnecting my noisy fans and replacing my crappy cooler with something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Prolimatech-Cooler-S...r/dp/B002WB2LV6 or is there more to it?

3- Is 580w good enough power supply? if no, what do I need?

4- I need some very quiet (or silent) cooling... but would like to avoid liquid cooling... been warned by a trusted friend... perhaps overcautious? guess I'm open...

5- What should I reasonably target for oc speed for this processor if I want longterm reliability/performance?

I tried to oc my i7920 from 2.66ghz to be more like 3.something?! but it's overheating past 70, 80, close to 90 and gearing down and rendering slower than if left alone.

I render 3D models all day and all night all the time... (I don't do gaming on it)

My budget is $100-$150... any recommendations?

There's a noisy fan on the back(outlet), noisy guy on the side(inlet), plus the noisy fan on the processor inside... it's a fairly big case

my head was spinning after seeing all these choices... http://www.acousticpc.com/intel_socket_136...pu_coolers.html are they all just fancy looking or do they actually work?

General Spec

Brand CyberpowerPC

Model Gamer Xtreme 1002

Recommended Usage Gaming

Processor Intel Core i7 920(2.66GHz)

Processor Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor

Memory 3GB (3x1GB) DDR3 Tri Channel Memory

Hard Drive 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD

Optical Drive 1 20X DVD

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you purchased all your components already?

580 will be fine for your rig, i would just make sure it's a reliable model

And yes, the heatsink comes with everything you need. mounting bracket, fans, thermal paste, tools & great instructions

ha ha... was already there... sorry for asking stupid question.

my mobo is not listed, but as all other MSI xx8s are NOT compatible... "Incompatible due to the excessive height of the chipset coolers."

I presume the x58 is NOT as well... bummer.

so now I keep looking... :(

ha ha... was already there... sorry for asking stupid question.

my mobo is not listed, but as all other MSI xx8s are NOT compatible... "Incompatible due to the excessive height of the chipset coolers."

I presume the x58 is NOT as well... bummer.

so now I keep looking... :(

Motherboard

Chipset Intel X58 MSI X58 Platinum

e14whj.jpg

looks compatible to me

oh i see, you were looking @ socket 775 and not 1366 (like you were supposed to :P )

ha!

oops.

I'm from MT, but lived in MKE for 10yrs.

I'm off to the power section now ... cause the cooling fan in my power unit is noisier than my other 3 fans combined!

Edited by 3DCGdesign