RAM Frequency Question

Hey guys, I have a i7 920 D0 and asus 6pt deluxe v2 and g.skill 6GB 1600 PC12800 Ram. The question is, I overclocked my CPU to 4.1GHz, BCLK 200, Vcore at 1.3, Qpi/Dram 1.35 Mulyiplier 21x, ram timing 8-8-8-21, if i have the BCLK at 200 the Ram frequency in bios is 1603MHz is it safe to run a 1600MHz Ram at 1603???? and is it safe to set the timings to 8-8-8-21, coz when i make them auto they go to 9-9-9-24???!!!

Thank you.

3 MHz isn't that much over stock, i personally wouldn't worry about that. Though to be sure you could run Memtest86+ to see if your mem is stable at those speeds and timings.

if the timings 8-8-8-21 are from the specs of that RAM kit, you should be fine setting them manually, however, make sure the RAM voltage is set to the appropriate value from the specs. Default DDR3 voltage is 1.5v.

i set the Ram voltage to 1.66 (1.65 is maximum but i read that as long as it is slightly increased and within a 0.5V from the Qpi/Dram voltage then its ok) i can set it to 1.64 but thats not the problem, the triple chanel set has the timings of 8-8-8-21 at X.M.P profile so its within specs. so this little over spec thing (1603MHz) is ok???

alright, one last thing, how is it useful to overclock ram and how to do it, and is it safe with no ram cooling, i have an antec nine hundered two case with great air flow??

in gaming, not very, maybe a few extra fps..

typically, RAM frequency is tied to some base clock (times a ratio). Not sure what that clock is for i7 systems. but you could also try selecting a "bigger" ratio, which would have a similiar effect as the CPU multiplier..

i have an antec nine hundered two case with great dust flow??

fixed. :lol: