Windows 7 Task Bar

Rokkaholik

Has anyone found a way to make the taskbar behave like XP or Vista yet? I don't like using tabs. I know about changing the settings to "look" like XP, but I want it to BEHAVE like XP or Vista with the Quick Launch buttons. Right now, I hit the Explorer button, and it becomes the window. I'd prefer it to stay a BUTTON where I can hit it 2-10 times and it'll open 2-10 different windows. Right now, I can right click on it and then hit the Internet Explorer and it'll open a new window, but I want it to do that without having to Right Click on it. The same goes for the OTHER things down there like my Microsoft Word, Music and Documents folders, which I WISH were seperate buttons instead of being pinned together.

This is my main hangup with Windows 7. Everything else I can deal with...

Tried using a middle mouse click on the "button"? Okay, not 100% XP quick launch-ish but fairly close.

If you want mimic the behave closer, do the following:

Right-click on the taskbar and choose Properties,

In the list "Taskbar buttons" (the online help has this listed as "Taskbar appearance"), choose "Never combine".

Edited by Blaise

FWIW there is another way. Right click in the toolbar tray and add new toolbar named shortcuts. Click on windows explorer and select documents. Create a new folder called shorcuts in documents. Send your shortcuts to your desktop. Open explorer-> documents and drag the shortcut icons from your desktop to the shortcuts folder. When you click on the shotcuts arrow in your toolbar voila, opens like the old XP quick launch, one click to open whatever.

I just drag whatever Icon I want to add right to the task bar...works every time...

Wouldn't that just creat another "expanding button" to the taskbar? He just wants a regular plain ole Quick Launch buttons not the type that exapand into the window...

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/888-q...le-disable.html

First page on google using 'windows 7 quick launch' as my search string.

Easy game this internet lark!

Sending you a case of whatever you drink my man!!!!! That solution was quick and easy as hell and it worked perfectly. The Quick Launch stuff appeared by the right side just like in the pics on that site. I unlocked the taskbar and I unchecked the show title and show text so that they now looked like buttons. I then unpinned everything from the left side of the taskbar (right click and unpin) and moved all the Quick Launch stuff that appeared, from the right side to the left so it took over the space where the pinned items were. The empty space I took over by doing this was then relocated over to the right side by the clock just to the left of those icons. I left clicked on that divider again and expanded that over to the left again leaving just enough space to see my quick launch buttons and then locked the taskbar again, and now it looks and behaves just like the XP/Vista Taskbar!

Another reason this forum just plain rocks! Thank you!

I guess I still don't understand why Microsoft didn't just make this an option to begin with. Lots of people I know have been pretty impressed with Windoes 7 so far, but so many of them have all mentioned that they do not like the taskbar setup and wanted it like the XP and Vista version. Maybe Microsoft will add it in a servicepack or something

B:) B:) B:)

newwin7taskbar.jpg

Edited by Rokkaholik