Help overclocking i7-920 d0 to 4 Ghz

Ahh okay, I actually did that and I broke 4 Ghz with 1.275V as of 2 days ago. (21x @ 191) and my ram is running at DDR 1528 at 2:8 Ratio. I ran prime95 overnight and it came back stable along with memtest86+. I will post some pics soon once I finish up with all this testing. Cheers to all that came in to help in this thread. I don't think I want to push it any further, since I won't really use anything that will require speeds that high to be honest. However, it was fun learning to overclock my processor and actually know what I am doing now. :)

- EDIT -

4ghz.jpg

Due to the voltage bump from 1.20V to 1.275V, the temps increased dramatically, from nearly 61-63 load to 65-70. I think 70 may be a bit too high, but I don't think it is too unusual with an air cooler on 4 Ghz. I may try to run tests to see if I can get the voltage down a bit to run a bit cooler. I seen people do 4 Ghz with 1.25V, so I may try to get it closest to that if I can.

IT'S OFFICIAL!

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1077325

Edited by Finalheaven

Congratulations on reaching the big 4.0. 70c on an i7 is ok. I know people that run theirs at 80c 24/7 but I personally wouldn't do it. Just as an experiment try manually setting your ram timings to 8-8-8-24. You may have to bump the ram voltage up to make it work. Mine's at 1.6. Try lowering your vcore to 1.25 to bring your temps down. You may get lucky. If it doesn't work, no harm done. Are we having fun yet? :rolleyes:

Edited by nanoprobe

Thanks, however I am not sure if I am fully stable yet...

I may try to do what you suggested and run tests tonight to see how stable it is. I know that I can keep it prime stable, but today I tried using Intel Burn Test and my temps got a bit high at 75 C... compared to the 70 C from Prime95. I also set the Intel Burn to high priority which may have caused my comp to freeze(prompting me to manually restart my comp) when I was playing around on my web browser. Maybe, the fact I set it to 'high' priority may have caused a freezing issue, not sure. It was fine when I left it alone though. I am not sure if that means it's still unstable, but that Intel Burn test program actually stresses the processor much harder than prime95, I think.

I think OCCT and Intel Burn test are about on par when stressing the comp, I think I may have to run more tests to make sure things are okay. I will try to reduce the VCore so that it produces less heat.

Edited by Finalheaven

I noticed that you have only 4gig of ram,it seems that I read some where that the x58 board is best suited

for running 6gig in triple channel . Better performance.

Edited by dling

Yeah, I was a cheap bum at the time of buying the parts. If it was $100 dollars for 6GB triple-channel kits like it was 6-8 months back, I would have been set, but the price of DDR3 rose to $100 for dual-channels :( . I may just buy 2 packs of 2x2gb rams to have 2 sets of triple-channel ram once I have some spare money. Not sure if triple vs dual channel affects my overclocking, though. I should be okay, I tend to run Win XP 10x more than Win7.

• 2 months later...

I would just like to point out that in your fan diagram you seem to have the top fan blowing into the case. You should never do this as warm air rises so you are working against the flow. This could be why your temps improve when you open the case. Turn the fan around and have it blow out of the case and it should help your temps.

I would just like to point out that in your fan diagram you seem to have the top fan blowing into the case. You should never do this as warm air rises so you are working against the flow. This could be why your temps improve when you open the case. Turn the fan around and have it blow out of the case and it should help your temps.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Top case fans should always blow out when air cooling.