megahalems an upgrade to mugen 2?

haraakiri

I have got unlocked 555(see my sig) overclocked to 3.8G on scythe mugen 2 with cpu temps around 55 with linx. I would like to touch 4G but I think temps need to be put under control.

I am planning to buy another cooler. With megahalems would I see 4-5 degree difference compared to scythe mugen 2? If it would be just 1-2 deg, then I better opt for something else. Reviews suggest that megahalems shines when temps are high, perhaps above 65. As phenom 2 runs cooler and perhaps should be less than 50 for 4G, I think it might not be worth. If it's better to get something else, what would it be? Currently I dont have the budget to go watercooling.

If you are wondering why my temps are so high, please note that I live in south India, ambient temps would be 30-35 in summer. Yes, you read that right and no typing mistakes there. :)

And my nb temps are around 55(with linx) again, so should I provide active cooling for my nb and pwm area? They are hot to touch.

Edited by haraakiri

Check this review out

It shows a 4 degree drop with a second fan for push/pull, I would probably try that first before considering a new heatsink.

If you still aren't satisfied with the temp/oc you get I'd look at the Thermalright VenomousX. From what I've seen on the reviews it's marginally better than the Prolimatech Megahalems. The Megahalems only shows good temps under heavy load with average idle temps in pretty much all of its reviews. The Venomous shows similar load performance with better idles.

Save a few bucks and reuse those fans if you get a new heatsink.

i do not think the updrade is worth it, the mugen 2 is a top performing hsf!

Most reviews do suggest the same.Some other hsf which mighe be considered an upgrade?

Add a second fan to the mugen 2, maybe get rid of the fan that came with it and get 2 yates loon/ scythe flex. One on the front and one on the bottom seemed to work the best for me.

Check this review out

It shows a 4 degree drop with a second fan for push/pull, I would probably try that first before considering a new heatsink.

If you still aren't satisfied with the temp/oc you get I'd look at the Thermalright VenomousX. From what I've seen on the reviews it's marginally better than the Prolimatech Megahalems. The Megahalems only shows good temps under heavy load with average idle temps in pretty much all of its reviews. The Venomous shows similar load performance with better idles.

Save a few bucks and reuse those fans if you get a new heatsink.

I will add two fans in push/pull first, test it and report back.

the magalahem kills the mugen 2

Sure? Personal experience or any reviews suggesting that? I would be happy to get megahalems if it can get me 4G and it's within my budget :).

Should I opt for noctua d14? That a bit pricy, but perhaps I might be able to save a few buck and go for it in a few weeks. I would first try push/pull though.

Just out of curiosity can you reach 4G without it unlocked?

Thanks for asking. :). After your reply checked if it could get to 4G without unlock and found that it requires 1.52V for that :( and temps are around 56 deg.

Therefore for unlocked 555, it will require 1.52V at least and that would perhaps mean no air cooling solution at my ambient temps could keep it less than 55. Am I right here?

If that's the case it's better get the best overclock I could with the current setup and forget about it :). Suggestions are welcome!

Edited by haraakiri