?hhmmm?

curtred

so i have started to notice my computer blacking out at random times and then pops up saying display driver has stopped working and has recovered. should i be worried?

so i have started to notice my computer blacking out at random times and then pops up saying display driver has stopped working and has recovered. should i be worried?

Do you have it overclocked? Unstable GPU overclocks are known to cause this problem and having it recover.

this is a very common problem with nVidia cards that apparently has no working solution. I've had it on and off for two years with my DELL and 8800GTX. two common causes are overheating GPU (or bad airflow) or not enough power to the actual video card. now I took apart my DELL and it ran on a 375W PSU. the 8800GTX (I read long ago somewhere) requires at least 400+ (because you have to understand that most power is lost on heat everywhere, plus you have the hard drives, fans, opticals, CPU, etc.)

I tore out (with a knife actually - funny story) the stock PSU and replaced it with a P&C 910W silencer. worked like a charm. (overkill in my case probably but I though I'd get two GPUs later). I also noticed that the new PSU's fan cooled it much better then the stock DELL's.

when buying a PSU (might be too radical a step in your case, as you then have to rewire the whole thing) I was a n00b but found great info. very interesting tidbits I would've never thought of myself.

what I found (factoids):

-80mm rear PSU fan is better then 120+mm top/bottom because it makes for minituarization of components inside the actual PSU and as my grandad (aircraft engine engeneer in russia) always said: "in electronics, minituarization is bad"

-some cases have openings in bottom for PSU breathing (like my HAF 932), and some don't. most cases' PSU mounts up top.

-modular PSU saves space and you don't have wires going every which way BUT the connection points mean power loss. not a lot, obviously. but the more you plug something in/out the more chance of breaking. see my cable management post-67675-1267381375_thumb.jpg