overclock q9550

Ricky C

Hi, i have had my computer running at stock speeds for a for a few months now, and was looking to invest in a new cpu cooler to overclock as the intel stock one runs hot. If possible i would like it to remain around the same loudness. I dont really want to spend more than around

Edited by Ricky C

How much are you looking to OC and where would you like to keep your temps?

I currently have a q9550 OC'd to 3.5 with a GeminII cooler on it and it works fine. After 10 hrs of Prime95 my hottest temps are 58, 55, 59 and 57.

I think it mostly depends on how extreme of an OC you're going for :)

How much are you looking to OC and where would you like to keep your temps?

I currently have a q9550 OC'd to 3.5 with a GeminII cooler on it and it works fine. After 10 hrs of Prime95 my hottest temps are 58, 55, 59 and 57.

I think it mostly depends on how extreme of an OC you're going for :)

Im not looking for oc by a huge factor, i was looking at cranking it up to about 3.2ghz a core, i would like similar temps to what you have currently

Edited by Ricky C

Im not looking for oc by a huge factor, i was looking at cranking it up to about 3.2ghz a core, i would like similar temps to what you have currently

Honestly, you might be able to hit 3.2 with similar temps using nothing but the stock cooler. 3.2 isn't much of a stretch for a Q9550, not at all. I'd say bump it up, run some stress tests and observe your temps. If you're not satisfied with the temps or plan on increasing the OC in the future then certainly invest in a new cooler.

Honestly, you might be able to hit 3.2 with similar temps using nothing but the stock cooler. 3.2 isn't much of a stretch for a Q9550, not at all. I'd say bump it up, run some stress tests and observe your temps. If you're not satisfied with the temps or plan on increasing the OC in the future then certainly invest in a new cooler.

+1

Test it out and see what you get :thumbs-up: