Overlcocking Intel q6850

TheMumm

I've got a q6850 and I'm looking to overclock it. Currently, I have the Dell H2C enclosure around the processor, and idle it runs at about 36 degrees C, under load it approaches 70. Would it be safe to overclock without adding any further fans or water coolants?

Most people think 70 is quite high, but you can try to raise FSB frequency without raising any voltages and see if it's stable. What software did you use to determine the load temps?

and idle it runs at about 36 degrees C, under load it approaches 70.

Is 70C the max temperature of the hottest core or is that the avg temp? If it were my processor I wouldn't let it run hotter than 70C on any individual core for extended periods of time.

Not sure what the ambient temp is in your locale, but around my parts its about the coldest time of the year and my processors are running the coolest that they ever will, I mention that because remember once you hit the summer months as the ambient temp goes up so will your processor temp.

If you really want to o/c that quad you should consider some better air cooling before you push it too hard. Even without a bump in voltage, you will still generate some extra heat once you start increasing the operating frequency.