5770 overclocking gone wrong!!

Union Of V

I'm just after nailing my processor at 3.9, so time to move onto the graphics card, right? Only thing is I not so sure how to oc graphics cards, but I try anyway. Stock configuration runs 850MHz @ 63C using MSI's Kombustion stress test. I decide to use a combination of Afterburner for voltages and AMD's GPU Clock Tool for changing clock speeds. Get it up to 875 without having to touch the voltages, still good @ 63C. Then I realize that Afterburner can change clock speeds, so I switch to Afterburner only, bump the clock up to 890 (still stock voltages) and run Kombustion. Half a minute in everything freezes. OK, not a good idea.

Now I'm in a weird situation where I can boot, but only for a few seconds before the graphics go haywire. Now I can't figure out what's wrong, or more importantly what to do about it. Safe mode works, so all is not lost, but where to go from there?Any ideas?

Thanks.

I was about to reply saying "I uninstalled Afterburner and everything's perfect!" when it crashed again :( and just after a nice long kombustion test, with stock settings and everything. I'm beginning to suspect it's not the GPU's fault, so I've toned down the OC to 3.8GHz and stock RAM speeds to see if it's stable on that.

Either that or there is permanent dmage from changed voltages..

make sure when you run your CPU stability tests, that its not just 1. use a mix of prime95(blend),OCCT & linX

Edited by cirro