Windows 7 wont show proper cpu information

horseboy666

My CPU is an Intel i7 920 (2.66 base) overclocked to 3.8 GHz water cooled. I can clock it higher, but am just lazy, 3.8 GHz was very easy to achieve and is 100% stable with prime95 for a whole day.

In Windows 7, it shows it as 2.67 GHz 2.53 GHz ... Its actually showing up lower than stock, in CPUZ and realtemp, it shows the proper frequency (yes I know it fluctuates the clock multiplier)

How can I get Windows 7 to properly show my systems overclocked frequency?

I do not mind it showing Intel core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz but I want it showing 3.8 GHz beside it as well. Its just this thing, lol, i need to have it showing, its a quirk of mine. Anyone can help me out? Possible registry change? Thanks alot.

It's completely normal. There is a setting in your BIOS that downclocks the CPU when not in use to save power. As soon as it comes under load it bumps back up to normal settings. Run Prime95 with CPUz open and see if the clocks increase back up to 3.8GHz.

As for the setting I believe it to be called Intel Speedstep.

windows 7 and all other windows OS only show the cpu at the stock speed even though it is OCed. This is normal. Its just how the cpu sends its info into windows. CPU-Z and realtemp can read it because it uses the bios to read it unlike windows. This happens with my AMD cpu when I OC it.

Edited by rmb938

It was always at 3.8Ghz anyways.. just not when completely idle to save power. Personally I would leave that on with todays electricity prices.. :rolleyes:

nonono, must have it showing its beastly power all the time!!! hahaha. I just built an E5200 system Intel Pentium Dual core 2.5 GHz, for my friend, and its not overclocked at all, i put in 3 GB RAM @ 800 mhz each stick, and yet in bios its showing for auto (667 MHz) so i gotta set multiplier by 4.0 using Gigabyte G31M-ES2L, now it shows 800 MHz, but when I run Prime 95 stress test, after like 5 minutes, Worker 1 stops, I uppped the ddr voltage by 0.1 v and now its perfect... really strange that I couldnt have it working properly at stock with stock speeds.. weird. I have built like 10 computers all the exact same as this with same exact specs, and this is the first time that having multiplier to Auto, produces 667 MHz. Bleh, maybe a defect?