Antec 1200 replacement fans

Peterbuilt

Hello. I am wanting to replace the stock fans on my Antec 1200 to something that performs better yet is also quiet. I am also in the process of obtaining a Prolimatech Megalahem to replace my current heat-sink but know nothing about fans so would I need to get 2 different fans for the Prolima. Mega. or the same ones would do fine as the ones for the case? My rig currently has an E8400 oc'd to 4 gigz and is running on 4 gigz on corsair tall ram. Any comments/suggestions that would improve my cooling temps. is greatly appreciated. Thanx.

the Megahalem is designed to operate best with an airflow of at least 75 cfm. So, that being said, it mainly depends on how you intend to power the fans, are you going to use the motherboard connectors, or power them from a molex connector off of your psu?. If your going to use the mobo connectors, you need to know if you have 4 pin (PWM) or 3 pin connections. you can use a 3 pin fan on a 4 pin PWM mobo connector, but the fan speed will not be able to be controlled by your bios and only only operate at full speed. You should also know the recommended amperage limits on the fan power circuit for your mobo (check your mobo manual), generally, there is an amperage limit for each fan connector, plus a total amperage limit for all fans connected to the board. On my ASUS board, the limits are more than adequate for the fans i'm running with 1 amp max load for each connector and 7 amps total fan load for the board. be sure the rated amperage for your fan(s) is no more than 50% of the load rating for each connector to allow for the startup surge of the fans when they power up. Usually, this isn't a problem, unless you are running lot of fans.

You may very well run into a problem with clearance on your memory, but the megahalem is designed so that you can rotate it 90 degrees on the mount if you need to. On my system, (see sig below) the cooler barely cleared my mem heatsinks, but when I tried to mount the fan, I ran into problems and had to move my mem to the two vacant slots farther away from the cpu. And my mem dosen't have tall heatsinks.

The fan I chose to run dosen't seem to made anymore, but here's the specs for it so you have something to go by:

Scythe Kaze-Juni PWM

model# SY1225SL12LM-P

size 120 mm.

0(+200rpm) -1300 rpm (+/- 10%)

0-74.5 cfm

0-26.5 dba

12v. / .18 amp

Coolermaster 120mm LED Fan seem very nice. You can get them in green, blue and red. They are rated at 19DB and 90cfm. That is if you just want a replacement led fan, I have heard good things about Xigmatek. If you just wand plain black or not lighted fans I would go with Scythe, Noctua, Xigmatek or non LED coolermaster fans.