780i NB voltage question

capkrunch

Hi,

I have XFX 780i motherboard, and I was wondering what's max voltage for NB (or SPP) without damaging it? I'm trying to get my Q9550 to 4.0ghz for 24/7 and only way i can get it to work is upping SPP's voltage to 1.5v or I'll have to stay at 3.825ghz with SPP @ 1.45v. So, I don't want to fry system by upping voltage too much.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

(BTW.. sorry.. my english isn't that great)

my evga 780i pretty much wont run diddle above 3ghz without 1.45v on the NB (1.5 being the first in the red zone)

in the end, with rasing that voltage you just really need to consider what you cooling solutions are. NB's on nvidia chipsets are known to be hot @ stock

all i had to do with my 780i was take the factory clipon fan off, rip off a cpu cooler fan and mounted it onto the heatsink. give me amazing results for the simplicity.

I've got the same board (xfx 780i) and an E8400 and I have booted at 4.8ghz, definately stable (occt, prime95, 3dmark, and 32m superpi) at 4.6Ghz. I've never taken the NB voltage into the red. It's always been 1.4 or 1.45 or whatever the one right under 1.5 is (that's how often I change it, I don't even remember what the number is). These boards run hot to begin with. I removed the thermal pads under the heat sink and applied artic five silver on everything. I also have 9 fans on my case moving a lot of air. cirro is right, upgrading the fan on the heatsink is a good way to go. Don't buy the 60mm silenex fan that moves like 8cfm, it doesn't change anything (I tried that), but it looks like a good size. The stock fan moves about 7 cfm if I remember right, so look for something better than that. With the arctic silver and tons of fans my MCP temperature is usually right around 60C and SPP is 54C while benchmarking.

I've got my bitspower waterblocks coming in this week, so hopefully by the weekend I can seriously drop those temps. 5ghz here I come!

I know that my EVGA 780i FTW has some nasty FSB holes (i.e. certain ranges of FSB speeds just won't work...)

Have you tried dropping the multipliers (cpu/ram) and raising the fsb (with the NB at a lower voltage) just to see if the problem still exists? If so, you may be in one of these holes, and you might need to increase the fsb 50-100 mhz to "jump" the hole.

Just an idea...

I had the 750i and it needed 1.5v for 4.5ghz.(500mhz fsb) after 3 weeks the board wouldnt post anymore. I managed to get it into bios and at 1.5v IDLE it was sitting at 63 degrees on the nb. At load I could only imagine it being up to 100C. Get a better fan or heatsink or better yet watercooling