strange issue with 790xt-ud4p

I have got 790XT UD4P with phenom 2 550. I got a strange problem.

When I start my system, sometimes, it turns on for 1-2 seconds and turns off. I cant turn it on now. The only way to turn it on would be to unplug power cord, wait a few seconds and then turn it on.

Strange thing is that it happens only once in 2-3 days, not always.

I changed psu, cabby and cmos battery too,but to no avail. Still the problem persists.

No overclocking running at stock. What could be the problem?

Other components : 2x2gbcorsair ddr3 1333 | palit gtx 260 sonic | corsiar hx620w

@joel.monteiro : I tried F6 and F7 bios till now. When turned on, actually as it's on for just <1 sec and turns off, so question of blue screen. fans spin for <1sec and system is off.

@wevsspot : Expecting the same I have changed chasis(from cm haf 922 to elite 335) too. :).

Any other suggestions?

By the way system's stable when running, it passes lynx 20 passes max memory, prime95 4 hours+ without any problems, could play at a stretch for a few hours. all benchmarking software run without issues. Just the occasional boot issue :(

Edited by haraakiri

Have you tried clearing CMOS when it refuses to start? Does that make any difference?

you might double check all of your psu connections to the mobo, I realize you changed out

the psu, but, perhaps a bad connector on your motherboard, bent/broken pin, not fully seated,

etc.

Have you tried clearing CMOS when it refuses to start? Does that make any difference?

you might double check all of your psu connections to the mobo, I realize you changed out

the psu, but, perhaps a bad connector on your motherboard, bent/broken pin, not fully seated,

etc.

Yes I tried to clear cmos and it starts without any problems, even without unplugging power cord. Are you talking about bent socket/cpu pin? I did remove cpu and reinstalled it without any difference. Should I check my socket and cpu?

EDIT : checked cpu, and atx power pins. Everything good.

Edited by haraakiri

this also happens from a cold start?

say u wake up and turn it on and the computer might not come on?

you say you replaced the PSU? the whole thing right, no modular cables left inside.

maybe a motherboard capacitor is bad. you dont see any bulging at the top like they are going to burst do you?

how long have u had this board btw?

it could also be a grounding issue I wonder.

@wevspot : problem exists from the first day itself. approx 1 month old board.

@potatochobit : yes it happens from a cold start. I have changed psu from hx620 to tx750. capacitors all seem fine, no bulging. It perhaps is not grounding issue as I run multiple systems, none have this problem and I changed it's place too :).

Sorry for replying late, to rule out processor related issue, I have got athlon 620 and would be using it with this processor for a few days and report back.

It seems to me that you've gone through all of the normal trouble shooting steps. Have you scoured the internet for reports of other owners of that board experiencing the same problem?

If it were my board I'd RMA it simply for the fact that it isn't working right and this is a problem that "could" grow progressively worse as the board gets older.

Just my two cents worth.....

• 3 weeks later...

With athlon 620 my system's stable all these days. Suspecting processor to be bad, tried it with my friends mobo. Same problem occurred. I am sure my processor is bad. Will RAM it. RMA's big hassle at my place, hopefully will get replacement soon.

@wevsspot : Yes, I have gone through the normal troubleshooting, it's better to do that before posting something, I believe :).

All of posts here, confirmed I didn't miss anything obvious and made me suspect my processor. Thanks all for your replies.

Edited by haraakiri