Best CPU Air Cooling Solution

doclucas

Hi,

I just bought a

Gigabyte X58A-UD7 Motherboard

with Intel i7 975 3.33Ghz D0 CPU

and CORSAIR XMS3 6G pc3-16000 DDR3 2000mhz CMG6GX3M3A2000C8 RAM

What would be the top 2 (best) CPU air cooling systems that money can buy for this setup? (I don't care about the price).

Thanks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly you don't care about price! Nice components!

There are lots of nice air-cool solutions out there, and the most expensive isn't necessarily the best as far as performance. Are you expecting to be generating a lot of heat? In other words, do you think you will be straining the processor and memory with your expected applications? Unless you are doing some really serious processing, I think you will find that the stock solutions on that board and the stock cooler on the CPU will keep you plenty cool. If you're into the bling and not the performance, or if you are going to be pushing the hardware pretty hard and overclocking an already fast system, consider liquid cooling instead.

Well if it HAS to be an air cooler then the Prolimatech Megahalems or the Noctua NH-D14.

I give my nod to the Noctua NH-D14 for both performance and low noise

Thanks. So what would be the best water cooling option for my system? (I prefer closed cycle water if something like this exist)

That would have to be a custom setup.

D5 pump

Heatkiller 3.0 block

MCR320 rad(Price point is good with performance almost what the more expensive rads cost)

Gentle Typhoon fans

Clearly you don't care about price! Nice components!

Are you expecting to be generating a lot of heat? In other words, do you think you will be straining the processor and memory with your expected applications?

That's a good question. I really don't know. I am kinda of a noob when it comes to overclocking to be honest.

The thing is - I bought this 2000Mhz capable Ram that I want to take advantage of. As far as I know - if I just connect it to the board with the CPU and all the rest of the components listed in my signature - it won't be running at 2000Mhz, so overclocking will be required (please correct me if I am wrong).

If that is correct, I will need to overclock the entire system, the CPU too, so won't I need a better cooling than the stock CPU and RAM coolers?

Here is a good setup I pieced together:

CPU Waterblock= EK-Supreme HF - Acetal

Radiator= ThermoChill PA140.3 High Performance 140x3 Radiator

Pump= Swiftech MCP655 12v DC Pump - with Speed Controller

Tubing (Make sure to atleast get 10 feet of tubing): Tygon R3603 7/16in. ID 5/8in. OD Laboratory Tubing # AAC00033

Rad Box (Supports Radiator)= Swiftech MCB-120 Rev 2 Radbox Radiator/fan housing - Black

Fittings (Get 4 of these. 2 for the radiator and 2 for the waterblock)= Bitspower G 1/4 Matte Black 1/2in. ID Barb - BP-MBWP-C01

Fans (6 for the radiator)= Scythe 120x25mm SlipStream SY1225SL12M - 68 CFM

Fillport (Better option over the resevoir)= Danger Den Delrin Fillport

T-Fitting (use this in combination with the fillport to make your own T line)= 1/2" OD T-Fitting

With the 1/2" OD fittings and the tubing I chose for you, it won't require you to use hose clamps because of the tight fit :). As for coolant I recommend you use just plain distilled water. Nothing beats heat transfer better the plain ol water. But just make sure it's distilled and not out of the tap. Make sure to add this in the water too: Nuke -PHN Concentrated Biocide (10mL)

If you have any tech. questions let me know :)

Edited by Queenz

Thanks for all the info regarding water cooling, but I am really not a big fan of all these customizations. (no pun intended)

I am using my computer for work at my office, so I need it running as fast and stable as I can make it run, but without modifying it to look like a spaceship if you know what I mean. So it seems like I will have to stick to the good ol' Air Cooling.

I still need an answer on my question in my post above:

"If that is correct, I will need to overclock the entire system, the CPU too, so won't I need a better cooling than the stock CPU and RAM coolers?"

"If that is correct, I will need to overclock the entire system, the CPU too, so won't I need a better cooling than the stock CPU and RAM coolers?"

With that motherboard you should be able to set your ram to 2000mhz without having to overclock the cpu. I would still overclock that processor though. It will be too easy with the unlocked multi.

And +1 for the Noctua and Megahalem coolers

With that motherboard you should be able to set your ram to 2000mhz without having to overclock the cpu. I would still overclock that processor though. It will be too easy with the unlocked multi.

And +1 for the Noctua and Megahalem coolers

What's the safest & stable OC speed I can get in your opinion on this CPU with this Mobo and stock CPU fan combined?

Thanks for all the info regarding water cooling, but I am really not a big fan of all these customizations. (no pun intended)

I am using my computer for work at my office, so I need it running as fast and stable as I can make it run, but without modifying it to look like a spaceship if you know what I mean. So it seems like I will have to stick to the good ol' Air Cooling.

No problem!

If you want to overclock just upgrade the stock CPU cooler to one of these:

If your on a budget get this:

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler - Retail

If money doesn't matter get this:

COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V10 Hybrid TEC RR-B2P-UV10-GP 120mm CPU Cooler - Retail

There is no need for RAM cooling since they already have heatsinks attached to them. Just make sure you have some good case fans too.

Corsair h50 is a good self contained water cooling system, it does about as good as the Megahalems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...mory-_-35181010

And yes you do need better cooling than stock for the CPU if you plan on overclocking, however the ram will be fine, if you are really worried about it simply get a 3 fan ram cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...4-001-_-Product

Edited by Bandrew