Asus M4A785T-M/CSM

My computer keeps freezing, and sometimes gets weird lines on the screen. It also freezes in the bios, and gets the weird lines.

I'm sure everyone will go right to video card, I got the motherboard replaced from Newegg with a brand new one, same problem as the old one I had.

Here's my setup:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785T-M/CSM

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition

RAM: OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 (1600)

Video: Integrated (ATI Radeon HD 4200)

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W

I contacted ASUS support, they said the 12V rail was way to high (12.3 - 12.4) they said it should be around 11.9 - 12 (being best) - 12.1

So I thought my power supply was bad, contacted OCZ they said 12.3 - 12.6 was acceptable, and the 12.1 power supplies cost a ton of money.

So I called ASUS back, they said their boards only supported 11.9 - 12.1, so I checked my other power supplies, motherboards were reading 12.1 so I pulled out my OCZ ModXStrem Pro 700W, hooked it up, and I got 12.2-12.3 and the system still kept freezing. Called ASUS back, they're saying both my power supplies are bad, even if my DFI board is reading 12.1. So I pulled out an old 230W power supply, and got 12.1.

The system has been running for at least 10 minutes now, no problems on the 230W power supply, yet... Is there any way to make my 500W power supply work?

I've also upgraded the BIOS in hopes that would fix it, still can't run my 500W power supply.

how old is the OCZ?

power supplies do commonly fail.

and chances are things will get worse if it is bad and other parts might be damaged.

how are you measuring this, by the way?

the unit is not dusty is it? no tight bends or twists in the mod cables?

you have the latest ASUS bios correct? no overclocked settings?

how old is the OCZ?

power supplies do commonly fail.

and chances are things will get worse if it is bad and other parts might be damaged.

how are you measuring this, by the way?

the unit is not dusty is it? no tight bends or twists in the mod cables?

you have the latest ASUS bios correct? no overclocked settings?

The OCZ is brand new, just bought it. I've tried my other OCZ power supplies (they were giving my other motherboards 12.1) put it on my system, and I get 12.2-12.3

I'm getting the voltage settings through the BIOS.

Yes, the latest ASUS bios, the only OC I have is voltage, and that's for the RAM (ram requires 1.9v). I've tried with auto, same thing.

It seems to like 1.89 better than 1.905.

The computer is constantly blue screening on my 250W. I'm guessing it's not providing enough voltage.

Just read a review on Newegg a guy has a OCZ 600W power supply, and it's working perfect for him.

Could 3 OCZ power supplies really be bad? (500W, 550W, 700W). Tried all three and still got 12.2 - 12.3.

While inside the system SpeedFan gets the 12v rail as 12.8 on all power supplies (including the 250W).

Edited by helpcomp2003

Any particular behavior causing the crash?

I just got the same motherboard and was having similar kind of crash when I access my usb flash driver or usb external drive.

edit: motherboard reports 11.912V for 12V voltage

Edited by redherring

hmm

I dont think both powersupplies are bad at the same time

well Im just going to throw some things out here

the OCZ power supplies could just have 'loose' voltages and that would be normal for the PSU line

the motherboard could also be extra sensitive and just doesnt like it

you updated the bios and had this problem at stock start up correct?

you have nothing overclocked?

your memory timings are stock?

the board might not like your memory

try setting it to 1333 if you can make it into the bios with the low powered PSU

it is also possible u got two bad motherboards in the worse case scenario

try going to a friends house and using their psu

red:

when ur usb crashes do you mean you are trying too boot from a USB drive? or are u already inwindows

Edited by potatochobit

My issue turns out to be unrelated. Windows 7 64-bit would crash when generating thumbnails for movie files on my external. I turned off thumbnail generation and my system seems to be stable.

helpcomp2003: are you absolutely certain the problem is your psu? If you could test other brand psu and it works, that would confirm it, but otherwise I can't help but suspect another component may be the cause. How old is your computer?

Ignore what I said previously. My computer is randomly freezing / rebooting just as described by helpcomp2003. Today I put in a radeon hd 5770, but it still freezes/reboots. The only thing we have in common is the motherboard. Could it be the problem?

have you tried with just 1 stick of ram and the cool n quiet feature turned off?

though with 2 systems with only one thing in common having simular issues does make that common componet suspect...

Edit..

I did a couple google searches and found several other users complaining of simular issues and their solution was to either increase the ram voltage or drop the ram speed down to 1066...

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=200...SLanguage=en-us

Thanks for the reply! I just lowered my clock speed to 1066 from 1333, and I was able to refresh my windows experience index without it crashing. Do you have any suggestions for increasing the memory voltage? I'd like to run the memory at 1333 if possible.

HelpComp give it a try and post what you find :)

hello,

I have the same board.

With:

Phenom II X4 955 BE

Corsair DDR3 1333MHz 4GB (2GBx2sticks kit) TW3X1333C9A but registers as CMX3 in AOD

BFG GeForce 9600GT OC 512MB 675-1700-900 DDR3 Stock

PSU Antec 550W True Power series very nice

Voltage in BIOS reads 11.9 - 12.1 no higher.

In Windows Using 'HWMonitor' 64 bit version, it says otherwise, fluctuates -- 12.7 - 12.9, <These are exaggerated and Incorrect

HWMonitor does give true readings for certain devices. They need to fix this.

AOD reads the same as above. Sorry earlier I was looking at the wrong PC! My mistake. I have an MSI Board similar to the Asus and it boots up faster than this Asus board.

Don't go buying PSU's because Asus quotes regulations. Buy the Antec True Power series. I have had no problems with Antec PSU's.

And don't put a PSU below 500W in your case. This will surely, be under powered.

If you live near a Frye's computer store, go there, they sell Antec True Power series.

Have a good evening

Edited by bobo2