Overclocking Athlon II X4 620 with Gigabyte-MA785GMT-UD2H

cburbs

Here is my setup:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU Fan: XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 620

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Power Supply: BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V T

I just starting testing this combo and overclocking. With only changing the CPU Frequency and nothing else I can get the CPU Frequency to 2.5 which is 3.38.

Once I jump to 260 my PC just keeps rebooting.

I read that the HT Link should be no higher than 2000Mhz. Is this true?

Now in my Bios setup how is the HT link Frequency and the CPU Northbridge Frequency related? Do both of these need to be set to the same multiplier if I change one do I need to change the other?

Anything else I should be looking at to get the max out of this?

Guest ajmatson

To overclock you need to find a balance between the reference clock and the multipliers. Try to keep your HyperTransport close to 2000MHz to remain stable however, you can push it a bit to get some speed by adjusting the voltage as well. You also need to watch your memory speed since the reference clock changes all of it based on the dividers. As you raise the clock speed lower the multipliers on the memory and HT to compensate while raising the voltages a bit.

To overclock you need to find a balance between the reference clock and the multipliers. Try to keep your HyperTransport close to 2000MHz to remain stable however, you can push it a bit to get some speed by adjusting the voltage as well. You also need to watch your memory speed since the reference clock changes all of it based on the dividers. As you raise the clock speed lower the multipliers on the memory and HT to compensate while raising the voltages a bit.

Thanks for that info...

Now in my Bios setup how is the HT link Frequency and the CPU Northbridge Frequency related? Do both of these need to be set to the same multiplier if I change one do I need to change the other?

Is there anything in the Bios that I should be turning off? I saw mention of the following so far:

a) Turn off AMD Cool N Queit - which I did

b) Turn off Autovoltage in Bios - will do on next reboot.

Edited by cburbs

Guest ajmatson
Thanks for that info...

Is there anything in the Bios that I should be turning off? I saw mention of the following so far:

a) Turn off AMD Cool N Queit - which I did

b) Turn off Autovoltage in Bios - will do on next reboot.

They are independent of each other so you can tune them all you want. Make sure C1E is disabled as well. You can overclock in the BIOS or using AMD Overdrive. IK what others say but trust me I have overclocked a lot of AMD processors and I have never had better results with one or the other. AOD lets you adjust on the fly which is very nice.

Good luck and happy overclocking :)

OK so I have it with the following settings in the BIOS

285 for cpu frequency

NB and HT Link Frequency set to *7 = 1995Mhz

Memory Clock at x5.33 = 1519 Mhz

I left DRAM config and voltage at auto

Windows boots but when I run prime 95 it reboots in 2 seconds.

What is the next best thing to try changing?

• 2 weeks later...
1. What do you have your multiplier set to for your cpu?

2. Some board are picky with volts so Dont use auto Voltage for the Cpu or Mem.

Left multiplier at stock 13.

I have it at auto voltage for now on both.

I put everything back to stock settings for now until I have more time too look at this but would like some suggestions.

Well 13 x 285 = 3.705ghz thats pushing way to much for a 620 at those speed. i suggest staying around 3.4 to 3.5 at the most.

Can i ask why are you looking for so much cpu speed are you gaming on the pc or just tring to get the best out of the cpu for all around.

I have the 630 and i run it at 3.5g iv gotton it to 3.668 stable with 1.55 volts but i need a better heatsink.

My old pc had a Intel p4 1.8ghz and it took almost 2hrs to convert 1hour 20min movie now it takes me less then 10mins

How fast do you want to run?

Well 13 x 285 = 3.705ghz thats pushing way to much for a 620 at those speed. i suggest staying around 3.4 to 3.5 at the most.

Can i ask why are you looking for so much cpu speed are you gaming on the pc or just tring to get the best out of the cpu for all around.

I have the 630 and i run it at 3.5g iv gotton it to 3.668 stable with 1.55 volts but i need a better heatsink.

My old pc had a Intel p4 1.8ghz and it took almost 2hrs to convert 1hour 20min movie now it takes me less then 10mins

How fast do you want to run?

i agree 3.7 is pushing it. 3.2-3.4 would be something it would handle.

Hey there. found your chip online figured i would give some specification data too it.

AMD athlon II x4 620

This will tell you its thermal parameters and your voltage parameters so you know where it recommended it can go. It has the same C2 stepping that the 940's do so make an attempt to get closer to 4 GHz is what I would do. one thing you may do is try to find your boards max FSB. This way you will be able to know where the board maxes out at and that will give you an idea. and eliminate that it you haven't reached that fsb you find leaving the chip ram and nb freq at factory.

Try it this way Quoted out of Dolks guide. Finding your FSB Max

First thing to do is find the limit to your FSB [Front Side Bus]. You will increase the FSB by a factor of 10 then by a factor of 5 after that. With each bump, make sure to keep your CPU speed as close to its stock speed. For example if my stock speed is 3.0 GHz which is 15 multi and 200 FSB, when I get to 210 FSB my multi should be 14.5. Same goes with your HT, CPU NB Frequency, and the RAM timings, and ratio. Once your computer does not boot up any longer, this means you have found your FSB maximum. Now you can move on to seeing how far you can push your CPU.

Also If noone awnsered you earlier. Yes its good to keep the HT and NB Freqency around 2000 + or - 200. But the further you get with your overclock you will eventually have to raise it to keep up with the chip itself.

Hope this helps. Make that poor athlon sing.