Overclocking i7 920

Nicckko

Hello people,

I am posting this to share my experiences overclocking my Core i7 920 on the Asus Rampage Gene II. Quite sure it might be helpful for some people. Think it is important to recall that im not a pro overclocker, but I'm quite sure my setup is working pretty well. On this post you will find a few images with my BIOS setup, 3.8 GHZ and 4.0 GHZ overlclocks. To cool my CPU I'm using the Corsair H50, which so far I'm loving it in dual fan push/pull configuration exhausting air from my case (opposite as Corsair suggests, I tested both configurations and this one produced the best results so far).

My current setup is the following:

Motherboard: Asus Rampage Gene II MicroAtx

Processor: Core i7 920

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H50 (Mounted in exhaust configuration, with push and pull fans)

Memory: DDR3 Gamer Series Tri Channel for Core

Edited by Nicckko

Are you prime stable with these settings?

Hello people,

I am posting this to share my experiences overclocking my Core i7 920 on the Asus Rampage Gene II. Quite sure it might be helpful for some people. Think it is important to recall that im not a pro overclocker, but I'm quite sure my setup is working pretty well. On this post you will find a few images with my BIOS setup, 3.8 GHZ and 4.0 GHZ overlclocks. To cool my CPU I'm using the Corsair H50, which so far I'm loving it in dual fan push/pull configuration exhausting air from my case (opposite as Corsair suggests, I tested both configurations and this one produced the best results so far).

My current setup is the following:

Motherboard: Asus Rampage Gene II MicroAtx

Processor: Core i7 920

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H50 (Mounted in exhaust configuration, with push and pull fans)

Memory: DDR3 Gamer Series Tri Channel for Core

Are you prime stable with these settings?

Ill run prime95 the whole night and see what happens, but the true is that I had never crashed in prime after running LinX with 25k problem size. Usually I run 6 hours of small FFT's, 6 hours in place large FFT's and 12 hours of blend.

Correct me if I am wrong

Looks pretty good, not a big fan of the H50 but I won't go there.

By disabling the cpu LLC should take care of the voltage increase if that's what you want to do.

The only thing I would have done differently would have been the PSU, your coolmax 700 has a total of 42 Amps on the 12v rails, a corsair 650W (at $20 less w/mir) has 52 Amps.

Other than that it looks good.

By disabling the cpu LLC should take care of the voltage increase if that's what you want to do.

Thx for advice, I have LLC enabled under load CPU and QPI Voltages never go higher than 1.28, I think its safe margin. What do you think ?

I have also been playing with VTT/QPI Voltage, I can lower my CPU Voltage if I increase QPI/VTT Voltage ... Should they be the same ?? is there any suggestion between their relationship ??

Edited by Nicckko

Wow. your case is so cool.

i7 920 is a good choice !

Nice post !

Good job dude !

Thx :foldon:

Check new 3.8 GHZ Settings, my 920 needs a lot of juice to get to 4.0 GHZ.