system failure

kapzzzol

I've just bought my new computer; ASUS M4A79XTD EVO, amd phenom 2 x4 955 and a ati radeon had 5850.

And Im using windows 7 64-bit.

It is the first i built my computer myself and also it's the first time i'm overclocking.

My processor is running at 3.79 Ghz with 1.46V. When i use prime95 to test stability, the cores get very hot (58) and an error appears in prime 95 and it stops. Also i have sometimes a bluescreen, windows suddenly shuts down and after the that, it boots up again. I thought it perhaps is the temperature; when nothing heavy is working it is already abound 35 degrees celsius. (my cpu fan always has ~1400 rpm).

Also i changed the voltages but that didn't work. higher nor lower.

Edited by kapzzzol

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Set everything back to Defaults in the BIOS, Disable AMD Cool & quiet, Use the Multiplier and only raise the Voltage a tiny bit when the computer doesnt boot or is unstable. As for your temp's, that would be im assuming because of the stock cooler your using, they are only meant to just barely meet minimum requirements, Get a good one then you can Clock away! :)

Edit: Welcome To the Overclockers Club! :D

Edited by SenitaL

Set everything back to Defaults in the BIOS, Disable AMD Cool & quiet, Use the Multiplier and only raise the Voltage a tiny bit when the computer doesnt boot or is unstable. As for your temp's, that would be im assuming because of the stock cooler your using, they are only meant to just barely meet minimum requirements, Get a good one then you can Clock away! :)

Edit: Welcome To the Overclockers Club! :D

thank you :), but is this also with the scythe m

i'll try this afternoon...

I do have a fan on my cooler and about the thermal paste, i put the whole contents thermal paste that was given by mugen.

Too much thermal paste can cause higher then normal temps.

okay, i went to bios to set everything back to auto, when i tried to reboot the computer, it didn't work. Nothing happened. I opened the computer to check what was wrong. De CPU fan wasn't working. So i took the MB out of the case and checked the processor if i could see any damage. I didn't. I made the layer of thermal paste some tinner but when i looked at the back side of the cpu, it fell half on the motherboard, half on the socket. Now there is a little bit paste at the socket. At the socked, i didn't see it in the howls.

Firts i tried after this the old fan again, it first went and stopped (as usual), but then i didn't began running. So i stopped the system.

I put an other fano on it. When i tried to reboot, it still didn't work. Now the fan was blazing but it didn't boot. Anyone know what happened?

Edited by kapzzzol

You really only need a dab of thermal paste to set the cooler. We are talking somewhere between a grain of rice and a small pea. I would try to clean off as much of the old thermal paste as possible, especially off the socket and motherboard. From what I recall, some of the pastes are conductive and can short out motherboard connections. Make sure none of the pins on the socket are bent or damaged.

Once you have everything clean install everything carefully and use a small dab of paste between the cooler and chip. If you do not have any paste, try to find some at a local computer shop. Make sure the cooler is seated evenly across the chip and verify that the fan is connected to the correct header. Try to start eh machine and see what happens. Hopefully the fan will spin up and the machine will start. If it doesn't, it might give you some warning beeps about any potential problems.

okay, and why do you think that my fan isn't working? is it just broke and is it that that the computer didn't reboot after setting everything back to auto?

And with what i may clean it?

Edited by kapzzzol