Which of These 3 Sound Cards Would You Buy ?

Publicnuisance

I confess, I use a Logitech USB headset because I'm not an audiophile. But a good sound card with a great headset is hard to beat when you're gaming.

Listen guys, the OP wasn't asking whether or not we thought he should use headsets, buy new speakers, or use onboard sound (and I'm guilty of jumping on that bandwagon too - and i apologize).

He has three different sound cards he wants to spend his money on and he needs a recommendation. My vote went to the Asus for all around, or the Creative if he plans on heavy gaming due to native EAX support for all versions.

So go for creative if its all out gaming? I was wondering for a new sound card too, but it seems I was recommended the Asus, but I mainly game and would really like to hear everything around me.

I don't have time to read the technical specs on all three cards, but if I remember correctly the Asus card uses EAX emulation instead of direct EAX support. Not sure if that is for all EAX revisions or only the more recent ones.

My recommendation stays the same - for all around the Asus, for gaming heavy or gaming specific the Creative.

Regarding drivers.......... Windows 7 had some native 64-bit drivers for my Audigy 2 ZS courtesy of Creative - and they actually worked :) Have since upgraded to the latest release from Creative and they are working fine too.

Edited by wevsspot

would go with auzentech over creative any day as creative drivers are often terrible and etc...

do a quick google search and see what you find on creative drivers having problems.

read somewhere about asus not using real eax wouldn't go with an asus card for gaming.

check out the auzentech x-fi forte.

Edited by maj0rgamer

for gaming, next to eax support, you should get something with cmss-3d.

cmss-3d is a three dimensional sound deal, pretty much turns any headphones into a surround sound experience and it's very nice...

not sure, but it may only be a feature on x-fi cards.

didn't see it on the explosion, which seems to be more focused on movies...

but the dts neo: pc on that explosion does seem to be similar.

Edited by maj0rgamer

if I remember correctly the Asus card uses EAX emulation instead of direct EAX support. Not sure if that is for all EAX revisions or only the ones.

the Xonar cards use EAX emulation (GX mode) that pretty well approximates the same reverb/filter effects as EAX... it supports EAX 2 and 5 at least

for gaming, next to eax support, you should get something with cmss-3d.

cmss-3d is a three dimensional sound deal, pretty much turns any headphones into a surround sound experience and it's very nice...

I much prefer the Dolby Headphone mode of the Xonar cards... the virtualisation is a hell of a lot better, simply, it sounds like surround sound speakers are in your room while you are wearing headphones, whereas CMSS-3D (to me at least) sounds like someone threw a bunch of speakers in the room and called it surround sound

I am just going to use it for gaming. It will be hooked up to either my headphones or a 2.1 speaker set. Nothing fancy.

for gaming only, I'd go with the Xonar card, because of Dolby Headphone (and Dolby Virtual Speaker)... EAX is less and less of an arguing point these days (as it's not being used, or supported much), and is only reverb and filters really

the reason I use an X-Fi XM and A2ZS is because I've modified them for higher quality... I could get that higher quality with a Xonar D2/D2X without modification... but it was cheaper to mod what I already had

the Xonar DX will also sound slightly better than the X-Fi Titanium... marginally, but also measurably...

the X-Plosion has an older C-Media chip than the Xonar, and would only really make sense if you wanted (to upgrade the opamps, in order to get) "audiophile 7.1 movie sound"

I confess, I use a Logitech USB headset because I'm not an audiophile. But a good sound card with a great headset is hard to beat when you're gaming.

Listen guys, the OP wasn't asking whether or not we thought he should use headsets, buy new speakers, or use onboard sound (and I'm guilty of jumping on that bandwagon too - and i apologize).

He has three different sound cards he wants to spend his money on and he needs a recommendation. My vote went to the Asus for all around, or the Creative if he plans on heavy gaming due to native EAX support for all versions.

Thank you for your post. Hopefully if all goes well I will have my new sound card in a little over 3 weeks.

As for headsets I use a decent headset as is for gaming and I may continue using headsets because I have found it easier to be immersed in a game with a good headset and this is coming form a guy who used to have a 7.1 sound system.

Edited by Publicnuisance

the Xonar cards use EAX emulation (GX mode) that pretty well approximates the same reverb/filter effects as EAX... it supports EAX 2 and 5 at least

I much prefer the Dolby Headphone mode of the Xonar cards... the virtualisation is a hell of a lot better, simply, it sounds like surround sound speakers are in your room while you are wearing headphones, whereas CMSS-3D (to me at least) sounds like someone threw a bunch of speakers in the room and called it surround sound

for gaming only, I'd go with the Xonar card, because of Dolby Headphone (and Dolby Virtual Speaker)... EAX is less and less of an arguing point these days (as it's not being used, or supported much), and is only reverb and filters really

the reason I use an X-Fi XM and A2ZS is because I've modified them for higher quality... I could get that higher quality with a Xonar D2/D2X without modification... but it was cheaper to mod what I already had

the Xonar DX will also sound slightly better than the X-Fi Titanium... marginally, but also measurably...

the X-Plosion has an older C-Media chip than the Xonar, and would only really make sense if you wanted (to upgrade the opamps, in order to get) "audiophile 7.1 movie sound"

Thank you for your very detailed post. It has helped me a lot. I won't be modding my sound card when I buy it so the Xonar is sounding very good.