Windows 7 fails to load after display driver install.

diff_lock

I replaced the psu in my machine after the old one died. Windows wouldn't load (only safe mode) with the new psu. So I used driver sweeper to clear my motherboard and display drives, and then windows started to load and function. I installed the chipset drivers and restarted, and windows functioned correctly. Then I installed the nvidia display drivers, and restarted. Windows would start to load (the logo would show) but where the login screen should show up, nothing shows up and eventually the pc restarts.

I login to safemode again, and remove the display drivers, and then windows starts working again.

Also during post (only during post) there is some weird pixel pattern over the whole screen. As if the graphics card is failing. But everywhere else (including bios, and other text screen there is no pattern.

So basically windows only loads with out display drivers. I have tried reinstalling MANY times, with new and old drivers.

How do I get windows working WITH display drivers?

Have you tried extracting the vga driver from the nVidia setup package and then updating the video card driver via the device manager? It sounds like you've got something corrupted in your registry or an old .dll (maybe .inf) file left over that is causing you issues.

If a manual driver update doesn't work I'm out of ideas other than either a repair install or fresh install of Windows 7.

Hopefully the original power supply dying didn't damage any of your other hardware.....

I installed via dev man. Same symptoms. Did not work.

Ouch........

Windows 7 repair install - It has to be a software/driver issue because it doesn't lock up or display graphics corruption until you are past the BIOS post portion of the boot up and when Windows try's to load the drivers.

The graphics card shows mild artifacts during post but that's it.

I switched my graphics card, and now windows is working WITH the drivers. It seems it is some really strange failure of the graphics card.

The card that was not working right was a 8800gtx, I swapped it with a g card from my other machine (8800GT) and now it works. The other machine runs ubuntu. I put the failing 8800gtx in the ubuntu machine from which i got the 8800gt, and ubuntu hangs in the login screen. WEIRD.

Time to get a new g card. Sucks, somehow I loose a psu and a g card, hopefully my mobo is still intact.