Need a Great Cooler that will fit a GA-P55M-UD2 without covering the R

Evildemon989

I just purchased a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard that I'm planning to run in this case. I also purchased a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 cooler to go with it in place of the wimpy stock cooler. Only to I go back today reviewing my purchase to find that the cooler blows air into the heatsink, not draws air threw it. If it would have drew air through it, this would be no problem because I would have mounted it so the fan side would be facing the back of the case, which is the way the exhaust flows. But since it goes the other way, it will be covering at least the nearest RAM slot, possibly the 2nd or 3rd(If you look at the board, the holes for the LGA 1156 mounting at extremely close to the RAM slots). So, once I get the cooler, I'm going to instantly return it to newegg, but in the meantime, I'd like to find a replacement that will work in with this setup. I'm probably going to overclock my Core i5 from 2.66GHz to at least 3.2GHz, possibly 3.3 or 3.4. I want to good cooler that will work on this board, and not cover any RAM slots in the process. Also, I'd like it to be under $50, and not be watercooling(Too expensive). I'm new to this, so there's guaranteed to be bumps and hiccups along the way. Also, I need the cooler to be no bigger then the Freezer 7 Pro(based on my case. I don't plan on adding a fan above the CPU.). Any ideas on any other great coolers that will fit this setup?

Thanks.

Edited by Evildemon989

cant you mount the fan on the other side?

I could, but then the fan would be blowing in the reverse direction of the airflow. The intakes fans are mounted at the front bottom, and the side bottom. The exhaust fans are going to be the rear top, and the top of the case.

and if you cant mount the fan the other way, why dont you try taking the fan on the back of the case and spin it around to suck the air in to the cooler.

there should be enough exaust area for the rest of the air to flow out successfully

If I were to do this, the top fan to just suck the air right back out. I'm trying to keep a system were the air flows in the bottom of the case and out the top if you see what I'm saying.

Well, the case I have has room for 5 fans. I'll be using 4 of the five(Two fans come with it, bought two more). Now, the rear fan, and the front fan come with it. I will be adding the top fan, and adding the lower fan on the side. On the side panel there is room for two fans, I'll be adding the fan to the bottom "port". I will not be using the "port" above the CPU.

Now, the rear fan and top will be exhaust fans. They will blow air out of the case. The blue front fan and the fan that I am adding to the lower side panel of the case will be intake fans. What this lets me achieve is to have like a tunnel of air. The air will intake at the front bottom of the case, and exhaust out the top rear of the case. Understand?

The reason I couldn't use the freezer 7 pro is if I were to mount it the other way, the way that it would have not interfered with the RAM slots, it would have blow air the reverse way of the "tunnel", restricting airflow, and possibly making it noisy.

Now, what I'm looking for is just another cooler. I don't want to change anything else. I just want to find a replacement cooler. The cooler needs to fit on the motherboard without covering the RAM slots(The Freezer 7 pro would have covered RAM slots.). It also has to flow with the air. Thanks.

Edited by Evildemon989

the fan is suposed to blow thru the heatsink....it is more efficient that way...it will not pull air from the whole sink if the fan was turned around but near the highest part of the sink where the fan is mounted and thus missing the core and temps will be higher...

thats where case fans come in...or a vent hole near the heatsink...to draw cool air in..the fan pushes the cool air to the core and cools it and the heat is expelled around the base and the cases job is to remove that via air changing inside the case...

the fan is suposed to blow thru the heatsink....it is more efficient that way...it will not pull air from the whole sink if the fan was turned around but near the highest part of the sink where the fan is mounted and thus missing the core and temps will be higher...

thats where case fans come in...or a vent hole near the heatsink...to draw cool air in..the fan pushes the cool air to the core and cools it and the heat is expelled around the base and the cases job is to remove that via air changing inside the case...

Yea I figured that out after I ordered it. :/ So any suggestions for what I could use instead of this?

So I was looking into the ZEROtherm CORE92 cooler as a replacement. It will work with my motherboard. Now, the only last complaints I have with it are the pushpin design, and the ship date. Does anyone here own this cooler? If so, do you like it, and are the pushpin okay and work well? Also, if anyone else would have any substitutes to this cooler that has the same form factor but isn't a pushpin design that would be helpful.

EDIT: Also, how well do push pins actually work?

Edited by Evildemon989