Overclocking Q9300

wake boy45

I Just overclocked my Q9300 to 3Ghz but didn't change the voltage and it's been running fine. I've been playing many games on it and nothing bad has happened. I downloaded a OC calculator and it says put the voltage at 1.27. Should I change it or is it not worth it because when I go into my Bios it warns me multiple times not to change the voltage.

Default Voltage is 1.225

Have you tested it for stability at all? If it is stable then leave the voltage where it is, if not then you need to raise it.

5. Required Software

Here are few utilities you'll need to continue, all are freeware.

General System Info

CPU-Z is a great app to display your current settings including vcore, FSB, multiplier, RAM settings, etc. This one is a must-have.

CPU Stress Testing

Prime 95 v25.6 is a great app for stress testing. It is very efficient at generating CPU loads equally across all your cores. There are few other apps that will stress a system as a hard as p95. Alternatively, if you

Edited by Bandrew

All the temperatures seem to be fine and when I ran the Prime 95 test on realtemp it maxed out at around 78 degrees celcius. I'm not really sure on what else to check. Thanks for the DLs.

Test Results

100% Load Core 1,2,3,4 all 22c away from TJMax

5.4% Load Core 1:44c 2:43.3 3:46.4 4:44.3 away from TJMax

Edited by wake boy45

All the temperatures seem to be fine and when I ran the Prime 95 test on realtemp it maxed out at around 78 degrees celcius. I'm not really sure on what else to check. Thanks for the DLs.

Test Results

100% Load Core 1,2,3,4 all 22c away from TJMax

5.4% Load Core 1:44c 2:43.3 3:46.4 4:44.3 away from TJMax

Your temps are very high. Are you still using the stock cpu cooler? If so, get a new cpu cooler before you overclock any more. Your core temps should probably be at the highest 70-75, but your idle temperatures seem pretty hot.

At your current temps, you shouldn't hurt anything as long as it is stable, but I wouldn't suggest going any further.

Edited by Bandrew

Yep, your temps are quite high, not dangerously high but a bit high. As the post above suggests, get an aftermarket cooler. I personally use Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme and my temps are ~40c idle and ~75c full load with 1,34V (on BIOS I set 1,39V I think) on IntelBurnTest and I can run 3,43GHz rock stable.

Nope, you're fine like that as long as it's stable and not long term. Yes, the cooler is quite big, it barely fits in my case (Antec Nine Hundred). It weighs 790 grams. Remember that you also need a 120mm fan (or two if you prefer) with it since it doesn't come with one unless you buy the RT FDB version (which I own).

I ordered one of those, but I got the one with a shrouded fan included. It comes with a back plate and it looks to me like the back plate is keeping the motherboard sturdy and flat, not bent or bowed.

Nope, you're fine like that as long as it's stable and not long term. Yes, the cooler is quite big, it barely fits in my case (Antec Nine Hundred). It weighs 790 grams. Remember that you also need a 120mm fan (or two if you prefer) with it since it doesn't come with one unless you buy the RT FDB version (which I own).

I just reversed the flow of a 120mm fan I have on the back of my computer and it now maxes out at 75 and will idle at 40 - 45.

Also I'm playing Crysis Warhead at 50-55c. Do those temps seem a little better.

Also some of these thermalights are 150$ and others are 60$ whats the difference?

Edited by wake boy45

I just reversed the flow of a 120mm fan I have on the back of my computer and it now maxes out at 75 and will idle at 40 - 45.

Also I'm playing Crysis Warhead at 50-55c. Do those temps seem a little better.

Also some of these thermalights are 150$ and others are 60$ whats the difference?

Those temperatures seem normal. Could you link to those $150 coolers? $60 seems like an ordinary price.

EDIT: Be sure to pick up a cooler which suppots socket 775!

Edited by Flibo

Those temperatures seem normal. Could you link to those $150 coolers? $60 seems like an ordinary price.

EDIT: Be sure to pick up a cooler which suppots socket 775!

They could have possibly made a mistake but there are two or three more of them below: http://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-Ultra-1...m/dp/B000PHEV6C

Edited by wake boy45