Reaching 4GHz with Q6600

zyklon

I'm using an Abit IP-35 to hit the 4GHz (or more) mark with my Q6600 GO.

I'm having some problems going past 1.59v Vcore and 1.57v Northbridge...the computer will not boot up when setting high voltages. I've only managed once to get 1.65v Northbridge and in another occasion I got 1.61v Vcore. Any help about what can cause this? Motherboard? Or maybe my OCZ 600W Stealth Xtreme PSU is not enough?

PS: Temperatures are fine so I doubt it has to do with heat issues.

Thanks!

i got 4ghz with my q6600 & 780i.

however it was/is a volt hungry bastard to say the least. i have to give mine 1.6v on the VID and 1.5fsb, 1.5 on NB and sb wasn't that high..

did a decent superpi run, but eventually would fall apart and i reverted back..

IMO honestly once your giving it that much i believe its just overvolting it making it display incorrectly.

is your NB cooled also? giving that much juice to a already hot chip isn't a good way to maintain stability... whats your MCP at temp wise?

well I don't have problems giving it some decent voltage...it's just that the pc almost never boots up on ~1.59volts+ vcore = I'cant get a stable overclock.

Well I'dont have temperature sensor for my northbridge, but PWM and motherboard temperatures are fine. As I stated, I doubt its a heat issue, because the pc will just simple try to boot for a split second and turns off, after which I have to turn off the PSU for some moment so that it resets.

Honestly it sounds like your hitting a wall, thats ALOT of voltage for that processor.

touch your NB on the mobo if it has no sensor for MCP in the Bios, if it hurts well.. (even i have 2 fans on my NB)

apparently i had to give mine 1.74v to get 4ghz.

not everyones q6600 will do 4.0ghz, or even 3.6... whats your highest stable (occ, or prime95) overclock?

try bringing it down to the highest stable speed and start lowering your voltages to minimal and then go back at it again slowly.

ocforocc4.jpg

Edited by cirro

highest stable overclock was 3.6GHz with prime95...but I'm trying to hit 4GHz for benchmarking purposes actually, I don't care about stability as long as it is just enough to boot, load windows and run superpi. Dunno if it's too much voltage for my CPU (btw it has VID 1.2750v ) ...I hope not :<

about the northbridge temp...it is quite hot, but does not burn my finger :P

Edited by zyklon

hmm.. have u tried anything a little under/over the 4ghz mark? my Mobo has FSB holes that react the same way when restarted . or you honestly might be peaking. getting around 1.6v is gettin pretty close to suicide runs

lower clocks @ same high voltages still fails to boot, so I guess it's voltage related issue. The farthest benchmark I've managed to get was 3957mhz with 1.59vcore / 1.57 NB (I have to increase voltages one step at a time - setting them to 1.59/1.57 immediately would end up in a failed boot). I would really like to go past 4GHz, but it's clear that I need to give more juice to my quad

You are either hitting a wall "that is all the cpu will do" or FSB limits of your motherboard. P35 pretty much had around a 450 limit give or take some. Get a P45 board and you will find out. I have seen some guys put them on P45 boards and go higher than they ever have before so...

You are either hitting a wall "that is all the cpu will do" or FSB limits of your motherboard. P35 pretty much had around a 450 limit give or take some. Get a P45 board and you will find out. I have seen some guys put them on P45 boards and go higher than they ever have before so...

any p45 boards that you recommend? i take your advice like its gold :D

I'm clocked at 3.6..More is possible for sure (temp wise)..And the classy lady is definately volt hungry..I need more Vcore but I can't get over 1.6 or the mobo goes into safe mode..It's a BIOS/mobo limitation..4.0 on a Q6600 G0 is EXTREMELY rare..3.6 though is fairly common with a good chip.

any p45 boards that you recommend? i take your advice like its gold :D

You may need some higher clocking RAM also, I have a EP45T UD3P that I like, it has DDR3 so I dont have to worry about maxing out the RAM. I also have a EP45 DS4P either will run a quad over 500 bus speed, but the same can be said for pretty much any of the P45s I believe except the cheap, cheap boards...

x3380.jpg

I think it's a voltage wall rather than fsb, since booting fails on high voltages. Maybe my motherboard isin't capable of high voltages such as these? Besides, my pc turned off twice in two occasions when I was roaming around in bios having voltages set like 1.59 vcore and 1.57 northbridge (or something high like this). So...maybe I'm drawing too much from the PSU causing the system to simply shut down?

Edited by zyklon