Need help picking a Smart Phone

Capo

Hi All,

I am in the market for a Smart Phone. I've never had one before but decided it's finally time to get one. My question now is, what is my best option with Verizon as my carrier (long story short, I need to stay with Verizon for the time being). Should I go Blackberry or a Windows Mobile phone?

My primary concern is business: email, ability to connect to wifi would be nice, easy of use of keyboard, ability to open office documents, web browsing, etc.

What do you all suggest?

If you're on Verizon, I would say wait a couple of weeks. Verizon is making a big Android push, releasing models from several manufacturers. The first one to come out is the Motorola Droid, followed shortly by the HTC Desire, with two more models coming out in early 2010. The Motorola Droid's release date is November 6, so you can go to a Verizon store and compare Android with Blackberry and Windows Mobile as early as this week.

However, if you find yourself preferring Windows Mobile or Blackberry, then there are multiple models available of each. I hear the new Blackberry Storm2 is actually a pretty good phone, far superior to the first iteration. I know several people who own the Tour and all of them love it, and I've used it myself. The UI is much better than earlier Blackberry models. For Windows Mobile there's the newly released HTC Imagio, in addition to the highly touted HTC Touch Pro 2. I'm not so sure how good the HTC Touch Diamond is, but I'm sure you can find reviews on it.

I like my Touch Pro (even though it's a piece of crap hardware wise), it has atleast showed me that windows mobile has pretty good software support. I haven't tried out any android phones myself (since Sprint doesn't have any), but Kash's recommendations sound like the way to go. The touch pro 2 is pretty much the same thing as my phone but I heard it runs smoother somehow (better drivers??, the processor and memory are identical), the screen is bigger too.

I'd suggest you head to the local Verizon store and pick up all of their phones and play with them. That will help you decide more than anything.

:withstupid:

except I wish they had 2 week rentals of phones since I never get a good feel for a phone until I've had it for a week or two.

The samsung instinct was real awesome in the store and then I got one and realized how god awful it was, it was the opposite with the touch pro (somewhat). The phone in the store didn't impress me, and then I got it and it was still "meh" but then all the mods I did made it a great phone.