Windows 7

d3bruts1d

Windows 7 - PRIMARY System  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Will you upgrade to Windows 7 on your primary system?

• Yes. I am upgrading from Vista to 7. I had 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am upgrading from Vista to 7. I did not have 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from XP to 7. I had 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from XP to 7. I did not have 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from 2000 (or earlier) to 7. I had 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from 2000 (or earlier) to 7. I did not have 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from the beta or RC, and I had 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from the beta or RC, but did not have 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from the gold/RTM. I had 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from the gold/RTM, but did not have 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I recently purchased a new PC and will be using the free upgrade to 7.
    • No. I recently purchased a new PC but will not be upgrading to 7.
    • No. I will wait for a service pack or two before I upgrade.
    • No. I would like to, but do not have the $ right now.
    • No. I don't have the $ right now, but wouldn't even if I did.
    • No. Windows Vista is just fine for me.
    • No. Windows XP is just fine for me.
    • No. Windows 2000 (or earlier) is just fine for me.
    • No. I do not run Windows on my PRIMARY system.
    • No. I do not run Windows on my PRIMARY system, but may install it as a VM.
    • No. Not right now. Maybe in 3 months.
    • No. Not right now. Maybe in 6 months.
    • No. Not right now. Maybe in 6-12 months.
    • No not right now. Maybe in >12 months.
    • Undecided
    • Other (??? - Provide details in a reply)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm awaiting my SSD to install 7... if you've got a blank drive, and use the upgrade DVD, how does it know you've had a legal version of Vista, do you need to enter product keys for both or something?

I've never used an upgrade version before!! :lol:

That may be an issue, although, technically, after I reformatted my hard drive I didn't have a previous version of Windows installed either. My advice to you would be attempt the upgrade without a previous OS install and if it won't take your Product Key then install Vista or XP or whatever you're currently using then perform a Custom Installation, where you can reformat your drive and start a new partition.

I even re-installed 7 back over itself (reformat and clean install, again) and it still took my Product Key and allowed me to activate it, even though I had no version of Vista or XP on my system, just my botched 7 install. I had to reinstall because for some reason when I downloaded an "Optional" Windows update for my Realtek network chip (which worked just fine out of the initial install) my comp would not detect any network connections. So, my advice to you, if all your hardware is working properly upon initial install, beware of the so called "updated" drivers offered by Microsoft through Windows Update. The so-called update killed my network connectivity. Go figure.

I did the download version, too. I just used CDImage and had the files in an .iso ready to burn to DVD in less than two minutes.

Yeah, CDimage is one of the programs I believe will work. Only a select number do, as far as I know from what I read. Although, my word should certainly not be taken as the rule. Other programs may or may not work, you'll just have to try and see.

Yeah, CDimage is one of the programs I believe will work. Only a select number do, as far as I know from what I read. Although, my word should certainly not be taken as the rule. Other programs may or may not work, you'll just have to try and see.

If anyone has the download version and is having trouble putting it on a bootable DVD, here is an excellent CDImage GUI walk through I found.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/15/

You did a "Clean Install," which isn't exactly a fresh installation of the operating system, but it's pretty close. If you'll notice, all your old files are carried over in a Windows.old folder. Whether or not doing a completely fresh installation is "better" than doing a clean install is debatable. I'd say if you have no problems using Microsoft's method, you're probably good to go. Just a little left over clutter in the form of that Windows.old folder. Personally, I didn't particularly need to keep any of my old files, so I opted to do a complete format and install. I highly doubt, though, that you'll run into any problems with the method you followed if you haven't already.