Windows 7

d3bruts1d

Windows 7 - PRIMARY System  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Will you upgrade to Windows 7 on your primary system?

• Yes. I am upgrading from Vista to 7. I had 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am upgrading from Vista to 7. I did not have 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from XP to 7. I had 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from XP to 7. I did not have 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from 2000 (or earlier) to 7. I had 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from 2000 (or earlier) to 7. I did not have 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from the beta or RC, and I had 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from the beta or RC, but did not have 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from the gold/RTM. I had 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from the gold/RTM, but did not have 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I recently purchased a new PC and will be using the free upgrade to 7.
    • No. I recently purchased a new PC but will not be upgrading to 7.
    • No. I will wait for a service pack or two before I upgrade.
    • No. I would like to, but do not have the $ right now.
    • No. I don't have the $ right now, but wouldn't even if I did.
    • No. Windows Vista is just fine for me.
    • No. Windows XP is just fine for me.
    • No. Windows 2000 (or earlier) is just fine for me.
    • No. I do not run Windows on my PRIMARY system.
    • No. I do not run Windows on my PRIMARY system, but may install it as a VM.
    • No. Not right now. Maybe in 3 months.
    • No. Not right now. Maybe in 6 months.
    • No. Not right now. Maybe in 6-12 months.
    • No not right now. Maybe in >12 months.
    • Undecided
    • Other (??? - Provide details in a reply)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still waiting for a compelling reason not to use XP.

Only 1 - I believe MS will stop supporting it this December. It is the sole reason they decided to switch to Vista here and the switch has absolutely blown CHUNKS. We already had 1 mission impacting fail because of Vista, and almost a 2nd one.

I'll be switching from XP at home to W7. Only time I'm on my home computer is to play games so XP is perfect - it's light (162MB) and it works. But I'll switch since XP will no longer be supported. I already have a copy of W7, just deciding if i want to install it on my current machine or build a new one since it looks like my backup machine is aging (7yrs ...which is like 14yrs old in dog years).

(7yrs ...which is like 14yrs old in dog years).

Shouldn't that be 41 years? Source. :rolleyes:;)

Edit: I thought it was 7 dog years for every 1 human year but apparently not! :blink:

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

Only 1 - I believe MS will stop supporting it this December. It is the sole reason they decided to switch to Vista here and the switch has absolutely blown CHUNKS. We already had 1 mission impacting fail because of Vista, and almost a 2nd one.

So what if MS stops supporting XP? There are lots of people still running Win 98. There's all kinds of alternative support for the legacy OS's.

Shouldn't that be 41 years? Source. :rolleyes:;)

Edit: I thought it was 7 dog years for every 1 human year but apparently not! :blink:

Cheers

Paul

I was actually throwing in my own comparison of a computer year as it relates to dog years, but thanks to your link my brain now hurts. Thank you sir! <_<

So what if MS stops supporting XP? There are lots of people still running Win 98. There's all kinds of alternative support for the legacy OS's.

One can also do without updates if they so desire. I provided my reason for switching.

Actually Microsoft will cut extended support for Windows XP on 4/8/2014.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN...=17&p1=3223

so that means until then Microsoft will still keep releasing security updates and some patches but they will not likely release another service pack or add any new features to XP.

Vista's mainstream support will be cut 4/10/2012 and there will be no extended support for home basic, home premium, and ultimate. Business and enterprise editions are the only 2 exceptions which will have extended support until 4/11/2017.

Basic

Home premium

Business

Enterprise

Ultimate

This website contains all the information about support cycles for Windows products.

99 votes... it's been a while since I've seen any poll (Official or non) this high. :D

In that case, good work on the choice of topic. :)

As for me, I'm currently running the RC and will upgrade to retail when I have any reason to, such as an added feature or the expiration of the RC.

I did the same, and you're right, it presented a bit of a problem as I wanted to clean my hard drive and do a completely fresh install. I had to download a command line application called oscdimg in order to use the command prompt to burn the downloaded files as a .iso that would be readable upon startup to initiate the install. Once this was complete to my desktop, however, I was able to use an everyday burning utility to put it on a DVD, and from there installation was simple. If you attempt a fresh install by initiating the process from within Vista the option to reformat your hard drive will not be available and you will only be able to use Microsoft's somewhat limited "Clean install" which still copies all of your old files and puts them in a folder named Windows.old.

More information on this procedure can be found at a site called sevenforums. That is where I found the process to convert the downloaded files to a DVD I could do a boot install from. All in all, added a good hour or so to the install process while I did some investigating into the correct steps I needed to take. For the price, though, I'm not really complaining. $30 is a hell of a deal, and I was still able to do a completely fresh installation.

I'm awaiting my SSD to install 7... if you've got a blank drive, and use the upgrade DVD, how does it know you've had a legal version of Vista, do you need to enter product keys for both or something?

I've never used an upgrade version before!! :lol: