Windows 7

d3bruts1d

Windows 7 - PRIMARY System  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Will you upgrade to Windows 7 on your primary system?

• Yes. I am upgrading from Vista to 7. I had 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am upgrading from Vista to 7. I did not have 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from XP to 7. I had 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from XP to 7. I did not have 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from 2000 (or earlier) to 7. I had 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from 2000 (or earlier) to 7. I did not have 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from the beta or RC, and I had 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from the beta or RC, but did not have 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from the gold/RTM. I had 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I am "upgrading" from the gold/RTM, but did not have 7 preordered.
    • Yes. I recently purchased a new PC and will be using the free upgrade to 7.
    • No. I recently purchased a new PC but will not be upgrading to 7.
    • No. I will wait for a service pack or two before I upgrade.
    • No. I would like to, but do not have the $ right now.
    • No. I don't have the $ right now, but wouldn't even if I did.
    • No. Windows Vista is just fine for me.
    • No. Windows XP is just fine for me.
    • No. Windows 2000 (or earlier) is just fine for me.
    • No. I do not run Windows on my PRIMARY system.
    • No. I do not run Windows on my PRIMARY system, but may install it as a VM.
    • No. Not right now. Maybe in 3 months.
    • No. Not right now. Maybe in 6 months.
    • No. Not right now. Maybe in 6-12 months.
    • No not right now. Maybe in >12 months.
    • Undecided
    • Other (??? - Provide details in a reply)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe what you are talking about is windows xp mode; its on professinoal and ultimate versions. One of the reasons that made me feel safe about upgrading. Any old games and applications should work. Will be VERY pissed if they don't work.

Applications should work fine as long as they don't require any special hardware. I really doubt games would work because the visualized version of XP only has access to a very limited graphics card which I beilive is only 64-bit. It probably could play very very old games like ones that were made for 95, 98 and possibly ME but I doubt it be able to run anything made in the past 7-8 years.

Applications should work fine as long as they don't require any special hardware. I really doubt games would work because the visualized version of XP only has access to a very limited graphics card which I beilive is only 64-bit. It probably could play very very old games like ones that were made for 95, 98 and possibly ME but I doubt it be able to run anything made in the past 7-8 years.

Do you have any articles that suggest this? I certainly hope that this is not true.

Edited by Jump4h

Do you have any articles that suggest this? I certainly hope that this is not true.

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/pa...ot-so-much.aspx

XP mode does not support 3D hardware acceleration and I have also tried installing games like bf2, Crysis, Red Alert 3, C&C3, Supreme commander, some COD series games on the visualized XP and none of them work. However most of them work fine with windows 7.

XP mode was designed for business who had applications that only work with XP to ease the transition from XP to Windows 7. Unlike many people believe it is not meant as a backwards compatibility option for games or other software that requires special hardware or hardware that does not have Windows 7 drivers.

I'll be upgrading to it as soon as I have the money for it. I didn't preorder it because well, Vista is just fine for me currently and I wasn't planning to upgrade this system but rather do a fresh install on a new one. Since my new system will most likely be longer down the road, I'll just pick up a copy of Home Premium or Pro or whatever they're calling it once I have the money for it.

I don't see the need for an XP Compatibility mode personally, sure its nice to have but like fire_storm said, nearly any game you can think of will work just fine in Win 7 without needing anything else.

I've been Running Windows 7 Professional for about two weeks now, as I got it through MSDN:AA. I was having some lag issues moving between programs until a few updates went through and everything has been working pretty well.