Dragon Age: Origins

InCrYsIs

84 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be playing Dragon Age Origins?

• Yes
    • No
    • RPG's Suck

What, no Wynne action?

If you get Oghren in your party and travel with him and Wynne.. you should listen to what he says about her. Its quite hilarious because Oghren is a

horny little bastard, as evidenced by his personal quest

lol.

I didn't even need Leliana at 100 approval before she slept with my second character. I did her personal quest, got her approval to 86, then gave her a gift which boosted it to 92. And put her in love with me. So I talked to her right after, went to bed, and enjoyed the following scene lol. Oh, and my second character is a female elf rogue. :P Alistair even gave me a rose and asked to go to bed.. while we were at Warden's Keep. I said no and then proceeded with Leli. Better choice imo.

It was the same with my first character, human male warrior, and Morrigan. Typically, Morrigan needs to be between 50 and 90 approval.. but the first time, I had her at about 40-45, she asked my character to go to bed and I obliged. Everything I've read says Morrigan needs to be between 50 and 90 and Leliana at 100 before they go to bed with you. Evidently what it is written about is wrong or its more of a ballpark figure than anything else.

Trying to get started on this as well as Mass Effect (to see if i want ME2) when i have time. Got this game off Steam for a good price. Even though I have it at max settings (aa too) I really can't say I'm impressed by the graphics on this game - mostly its the people. I think they worried too much about trying to give the people emotions - which comes off as forced and extremely cheesy. Graphics aren't important but I feel obligated to bring them up because this is one game where I was expecting top notch graphics.

But its really the gameplay thats important and I have to say, even though I haven't made it too far yet, I'm really enjoying the game. Didn't like the way Rogue storyline started off so I re-started as Mage and really liked that Harrowing trial. Thinking I'll enjoy playing a mage. I need to find some time to read about this game though - that Arcane Warrior sounds interesting by name.

Trying to get started on this as well as Mass Effect (to see if i want ME2) when i have time. Got this game off Steam for a good price. Even though I have it at max settings (aa too) I really can't say I'm impressed by the graphics on this game - mostly its the people. I think they worried too much about trying to give the people emotions - which comes off as forced and extremely cheesy. Graphics aren't important but I feel obligated to bring them up because this is one game where I was expecting top notch graphics.

But its really the gameplay thats important and I have to say, even though I haven't made it too far yet, I'm really enjoying the game. Didn't like the way Rogue storyline started off so I re-started as Mage and really liked that Harrowing trial. Thinking I'll enjoy playing a mage. I need to find some time to read about this game though - that Arcane Warrior sounds interesting by name.

I'm a mage too. I chose Arcane Warrior as one of my specializations. I actually don't use any of the AW skills, but I chose it because the first skill is passive and allows you to substitute your magic attribute for strength requirements. Seeing as you'll definitely be pumping up magic (along with willpower), this comes in very handy as it allows you to basically equip any equipment you desire. Of course the heavier the equipment the more your fatigue, so you need to be mindful of the tradeoff and not go all out on massive armor. heh.

As for graphics, I think they're a bit underrated. No, they're certainly not the best I've seen, but some of the environments are really quite good, and there's a lot of variety, so I can understand the sacrifice that had to be made. Here's just one small example (click for full size):

98a93dc04573baa198c8265dc10a87d03eb2a4ca.jpg

Also, I think the spell effects in this game are some of the best I've seen in a game. As a mage, you'll get to see what I mean eventually. But as you said, I think the main focus was on characters, and they did that extremely well. The voice acting is great and unlike practically all other RPGs I've played, I actually sit through and listen to all conversations because they really are well thought out and very well done. I completely disagree that emotions feel forced and cheesy. I'd say I genuinely feel for the characters in this game more than I ever have in a game before. If you're a fan of story in games, definitely take the time to talk to your companions (doing so in camp usually provides more options, as they're more apt to open up while "safe"). The random banter between companions is also hilarious, and for that reason, I'll probably have to choose different companions next time, just so I hear some more :D. Aside from the voice acting, the character models themselves are quite detailed, IMO, and I haven't really noticed duplication (not counting creatures, of course).

Well, the rogue origin doesn't exist. Your class doesn't affect the origin story unless you play as a mage. The origin depends on the race you pick, not class. If you didn't like the first race you picked, then try another race and see how you like that instead.

As for the graphics, Clay said it best. Sure, the graphics aren't that cutting edge and aren't the super shiny "hi def" stuff that all the console games have.. but they work for the game. If you play a game just for the graphics, you don't really enjoy the actual gameplay or even give it a chance... you're too focused on how shiny the game looks. To me, Dragon Age is one of the better games visually and story-wise in a long time.. it all works. Sure, some of the textures may not be that great but at least the majority of them are high resolution (unlike Mass Effect). And if you don't like the textures, then download the high res mod which will replace all the default textures at 512x512 with ones at 4098x4098 or 2048x2048.

And yeah, some of the enviroments just make me go "wow." Especially all the stuff for the dwarves, those just look amazing.

Thanks for the tip on the Fatigue part with heavy armor. Always a question in RPGs and for some reason I didn't even think of it here ...probably because I haven't gotten that far yet to worry about it. Now that I'm finally getting over this stomach flu, food poisoning or whatever it is I should feel like hopping back in and see what happens after The Harrowing.

I normally talk to people multiple times just to see if they say anything new so I usually listen to people ...mostly looking for easter egg items. So yah, I'd have to agree on the voice acting for this game. They did a fantastic job on that. That's a big part of what of drew me in to be honest.

I knew something wasn't right about Mouse by the way the voice actor played it, but I still wasn't expecting THAT twist.

And nah, I don't need the best graphics. Hell, I still play my SNES at times - by far from the best graphics. :lol: I was just expecting a lot more from the hype before the game was released, but as long as it continues being fun that is all I care about. :) Looking forward to seeing the spell effects and later environments. Pretty much all I have seen of the game before I got sick was the Prologue.

Started up DAO just now and got a message that new downloadable content was available.

RETURN TO OSTAGAR is now live, apparently.

Yep just downloaded it. Will definitely play this weekend. Between ME2 and DAO there isn't much time for anything else.