How does RAM overclocking work?

I gotta learn a little bit about ram overclocking. The first thing I want to start with is FSB:DRAM ratio. For my stock clock rig it's 3:10. I've heard that 1:1 is ideal setting but I've also read that thats for intel cpus, and not as much for AMD. Does that mean that I have to change each ram clock manualy? I also think that for the BallistiX Tracers, crucial made some kind of failsafe thing that makes the ram run on lower clock than stated, which I think is true since in cpu-z the clocks are different from the ones shown in newegg. Anyway moving on....If I'm going to be working with FSB:DRAM I need some info about that, if not then what am I going to have to look for and change in the bios, and how... I've heard that the lower the clocks the better like for example... 6-6-6-20 would be better than 9-9-9-24...but also there are rams that are much more expensive than others that have lower clocks. NEXT! Voltage. What are the safe voltages that I will need when overclocking since too much would fry the poor suckers.

Basicaly thats all I can think of for now. Any help regarding this whole mess would be really helpful, and even more if I get some info about my exact situation with the 2x1gb ballistix tracers ddr3 1333.

THANK YOU!

Here is some cpu-z infoZ, and everest. :P

There used to be an OC'ng site called DFI Streets and they had a detailed instructions on how to squeeze every bit of performance on a given memory. The process that I still use today when overclocking is to first understand the limits of my memory FSB by lowering the multiplier of the cpu to a point that I can run a high FSB at a voltage I am comfortable with running the memory. Now, every memory, even identical pairs tend to behave differently. The main thing to keep in mind is how high am I comfortably willing to put the memory voltage wise and how am I able to control the heat it is generating, because heat will kill your memory so quick if left unattended. After finding the max FSB of the memory does not mean you can run that along the cpu, that is another beast on its own and thats where your cpu multipliers come in to play. Now, to test the integrity of the memories stability I use memtest. Increase the FSB on the memory until it will not pass, I use an 8 hr duration to find max and then if it passes, then I try to run it 24 hrs if it passes then great try to increase a bit but if does not then I lower the FSB or try to play woith the timings, and the timings you can decide how you want it to be, and there used to be a seperate guide on that too, tight against loose timings, tight timings lower fsb and lower cpu speed or looser timings higher fsb and higher cpu speed. I hope that made sense at all, LOL, good luck.....

This guide might be more helpful......

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php...amp;postcount=1

Edited by Voltes_5