CPU/MOBO/GPU rads

Parsleybravo

Okay, so I'm revamping my water cooling setup.

I purchased a 3x120mm rad as well as a single 120mm rad, but I'm curious to know how I should set up my loops, considering I'll be cooling my CPU, motherboard and two GPUs (GTX 260). Since I plan on having two separate loops, each with it's own pump, I was thinking about putting my CPU and MOBO on one loop with the 3x120mm rad, and leaving the single 120mm rad for my GPUs.

Will the single rad be enough for two GPUs?

Is a 3x120 overkill for a CPU and motherboard?

Should I combine the two rads into a single loop? (In which case, should I use the second pump as a secondary/backup?)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

a 1x120mm radiator is pretty much useless, it couldn't cool the CPU, nor a GPU, unless you were going for a silent HTPC with air-cooling calibre temps at stock speed or something

I'd say a 3x120 is good for an i7, and also good for two GPUs... go with a couple thick ones (e.g. PA120.3, RX360, etc)

If you make one massive loop, it might work, and have the neatest, shortest run of tubing, but you will literally cry when the time comes to upgrade or otherwise swap a part in the loop

I just noticed you have Tt watercooling... throw it all away now, every single piece of it, otherwise you will have a disaster when you attempt the type of cooling you have in mind

Hah, yeah I already offloaded the Tt. It worked well enough for cooling just my QX9770, but I've definitely moved on... and no, that wasn't the 120mm rad I was talking about.

I already bought my 3x120, but I went with the MCR320 instead of the RX360... I couldn't justify the extra money for such a slight difference in performance. I only bought one, and I don't anticipate buying another 3x120, simply because I'm trying to keep the entire system confined inside the case and I don't have room for a second 3x120. I might be able to fit a 2x120 up against the HDD cage, though.

Do you guys recommend quick disconnect valves on the hoses?

Edited by Parsleybravo

I purchased a 3x120mm rad as well as a single 120mm rad, but I'm curious to know how I should set up my loops, considering I'll be cooling my CPU, motherboard and two GPUs (GTX 260). Since I plan on having two separate loops, each with it's own pump, I was thinking about putting my CPU and MOBO on one loop with the 3x120mm rad, and leaving the single 120mm rad for my GPUs.

Will the single rad be enough for two GPUs?

Is a 3x120 overkill for a CPU and motherboard?

Should I combine the two rads into a single loop? (In which case, should I use the second pump as a secondary/backup?)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edit: just saw the "Since I plan on having two separate loops," halfway through writing.

I say only use one loop but if you decide to get a second loop then you should really get a 240mm for the cpu and go: t-line>pump>240mm>cpu>120mm>chipset>back to beginning. on the gpus go: t-line>pump>360mm>gpus>beginning

t-line>pump>360mm>cpu>mobo>120mm rad>gpus>back to the beginning

If you only use 1 pump:

go: t-line>pump>360mm>cpu>chipset>120mm>gpu1>gpu2>beginning.

Put the 120mm after the cpu and chipset to get the water somewhat cooler, and put the 3x120 after the gpus to get the water as cool as possible for the cpu.

The reason I say this is

1. You want the coldest possible cpu

2. gpus are made to operate at like <85C so anything below 75 is an accomplishment and at the very least it should be somewhat quieter.

I'm pretty sure you'll get good temps with the setups I've suggested.

If you put the cpu in its own loop with the 120mm you definitely should not put the chipset in the same loop, and you should know that your temps will be about as good as air cooling.

I say only use one loop but if you decide to get a second loop then you should really get a 240mm for the cpu and go: t-line>pump>240mm>cpu>120mm>chipset>back to beginning. on the gpus go: t-line>pump>360mm>gpus>beginning

t-line>pump>360mm>cpu>mobo>120mm rad>gpus>back to the beginning

I notice that in each of your recommended loops, you have the pump pushing water through the rads before the compents, not after. Does that matter? I only ask because I've seen alot of cooling rigs setup so the heated water flows through the rad before heading back to the pump.

Again... does that matter much?