Step-by-step instructions on overclocking

L/01

Hi. I want to overclock my AMD Phenom X4 64 2.6Ghz 9950 x4 Black Edition AM2+ True Quad-Core. It is a brand new CPU. I just got it. My motherboard is a ASUS M3N72-D. I have 2GB 1066Mhz RAM, OCZ Stealth X Stream 600watt PSU. I also have a SCKTN-3000 Katana III CPU cooler. I have no graphics card. I just want detailed instructions on how to do this and advice. Is the stuff that I have here good enough for the overclock? I have never done this before and want to learn how. Somebody please help me out. Thanks

I know what you need is an overclocking guide for AMD, but I don't see one here.

I would really recommend that you do read a guide first, before attempting to OC your rig!

You could Google "AMD Phenom 9950 Overclocking Guide" and see what you come up with!

You can also read the Overclocking guide here on the Core 2 duals and Core 2 Quads. It's in the Pinned section on the top.

You should start out by reading general guides. I wrote one a while ago. You can find it here. It's a bit old and generalized, but it should be good for getting you started.

As for a "step-by-step" guide, you're not likely to find that. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as putting in the right code and then you're overclocked. Every chip is different. Every memory stick, every cooling fan, every motherboard, every power supply, etc, etc. The point is that no two PCs will have exactly the same "steps" for overclocking. What works wonderfully for one person may fail miserably for the next. That's why you need to learn the general ideas behind overclocking and go at it yourself, rather than trying to use someone else's settings.

overclocking is trial and error...

learn the basics, such as in verran's guide and have fun with it.

the good news is that black edition cpu's are quite easy to overclock with the unlocked multiplier...

have a look at this simple black and white process located in one of the posts, but some background know how is assumed :)

Edited by Maj0r Gamer