Upgrading home network

pie

SETUP:

I had the b router and USB adapters for many years now. The people on the wireless adapters are complaining about super slow connection and sometimes pages won't load. I can't tell why that is happening, so I am thinking about upgrading the entire setup: 1 wireless router, and 2 USB adapters. The laptops are connected via build in wireless cards.

Usually 3 computers are always connected, computer on the first floor by wired, and 2 desktops on the second floor by wireless. One desktop user games, so I need a good USB adapter for that one (or even a PCI adapter), and a stable adapter for the second one that will allow a stable connection. And iPod touch, laptops, and net books at random times.

SUPPLY:

Router: LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Retail Best rated wireless router

Wireless Adapters for Computer 1 (Game):

Wireless Adapters for Computer 2 (Just Internet):

I would grab this router instead: ASUS RT-N13U

It has an integrated printer server as well as an FTP server. With the EZ bandwidth management, you can give priority to online gaming. And wireless N BTW. Overall, a much better value than that Linksys router.

Good luck :)

Edited by The Smith

For the number of devices and the area you need to cover, I would highly recommend an N router. I have a D-Link DIR-655 back home and it handles five laptops and two desktops wirelessly, two wired desktops, a wired Xbox360, wireless Wii and PS3, and two iPhones. It handles them all like a champ, we never experienced network slowdowns on any of the devices, and the range was fantastic (router sat on the main floor and worked great in the basement and the top floor, even several dozen feet outside).

I would grab this router instead: ASUS RT-N13U

This one looks good and I agree go with a N wireless router. I wish I did when I bought mine last year.

Adapter : ENCORE ENLWI-N IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 PCI

I don't trust USB dongles :P I believe the equal quality USB dongle cost about the same $20-30 range. You could save more and go with a lower data rate, but I'm not exactly how much you will need. So I just picked one with the highest speed available.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Thank you everyone for posting. Is the D-Link DGL-4500 better? They both have positive and negative reviews.

Thanks for the adapter recommendation Krazyxazn :) Do you use that? Lol.

Edited by pie