pci e frequency wont change in bios, cant oc anything

Okay this is my first time actually overclocking, but I know the basics. I know that when you are telling something to go faster, it requires more electricity... therefore you have to feed it more by increasing the voltage... anyways, to my problem

As per my system specs:

Intel core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L

OCZ 800 MHz Platinum 5-5-5-15 dual channel 4 GB (2 x 2GB)

WD Velociraptor 300 GB GLFS x 2

KFA2 GeForce 9600GT OC 512 MB

Samsung 22x ide dvd burner

Noctua U12 Heatsink and fan, 2 fans for in and out blowing

3 Case fans 120 mm

PC Power and Cooling 475 watt

Okay, so basically stock settings is 333 x 8.5 for the CPU for the RAM its 2.4 x 333 = 800 Mhz

Now I have my FSB set to 400 MHz, making my CPU 3.4 GHz, I set the RAM to 2.0, to make it 800 MHz again

I set CPU voltage to 1.20, FSB +1 volt, left everything else alone

I can get into Windows 7 RC, everything works, until I set a System Rating test, once I do that, the screen flashes, and an error indicating the video driver failed and recovered, and it keeps doing it over and over. I checked my GPU frequencies, and its as follows:

STOCK: CORE: 675 MHz, Shaders 1625 MHz, Memory 1000 MHz. Using CPU-Z

People have been telling me that since its factory overclocked (my geforce 9600gt) that it needs to be underclocked cuz im changing my FSB, or to lock the PCI-E frequency to 100 MHz..

So I changed the pci-express frequency in bios to 100 MHz (From auto) and saved, the system restarts and shuts down, turns back on and my system goes back to stock automatically, no matter what frequency I choose for the PCI-E, causes it to shut down, restart back to stock.

ALSO, even if i dont touch anything, leave EVERYTHING stock, but change the PCI-E to anything other than auto, it does the same thing....

Another thing, for my RAM I have 1.6 , 2.0, 2.4 available to me... if i set my ram to 1.6 it does the same thing as when I change my PCI-E frequency.

*** Please note, when I use the Graphics card tuner, and underclock it through software, my system becomes stable, so I know its the graphics card being too overclocked... now this is fine, but when I log onto MAC OS X, it wont even get passed the apple logo (because I cant change the graphics card frequencies in MAC OS X)

I really want to get this thing changed in the bios (Yes its updated to the latest bios F8, there is F9 beta, but I dont like beta for bios)

Any suggestions guys? Heat isnt an issue btw, I was able to overclock to 4 GHz with changing the graphics frequency within windows, and my temps were like 45 idle for core 0, and prime 95 got it to like 60.

Also, it cant be Windows 7 RC causing a problem, because I tried with Windows XP too. Anyone know if there is a way to flash my graphics card bios to make it underclocked always to whatever I want it to be? Thanks alot guys!

Edited by horseboy666

Ok...If this is your board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...yte%20G31M-ES2L

It also has a onboard video processor (Intel GMA 3100)

So for your PCI-E card to operate properly, the Intel video needs to be disabled in your bios!

Also in your bios, (somewhere), there should be a setting to choose which will be your main video output, and you need to choose PCI-E

Hope this helps!

Inteller

The only option available for disabling the onboard video, is by selecting Enable if No Ext PEG which is shown in the first bios pic here.

It was set to that already, you will notice Init Display First (PEG) is selected, I also tried PCI, the other option is onboard

5609_1196620030200_1069445698_30602397_4151357_n.jpg

Here is a pic of the bios screen with overclocking MIT

5609_1196620070201_1069445698_30602398_4389340_n.jpg

Those 2 screens are the only ones that mention at all anything about the GPU

Those are my working settings (meaning im able to get into windows and do stuff, but the moment i play a game or run the system test, i get the video driver failed error and recovered.

When I clock it further than the 3.4 ghz, it sometimes wont let me into windows at all, flashes over and over then just reboots with STOP 0x0000116 error, which is an nvidia graphics problem.

So any help please, to downclock this video card in bios, or is there a program that can allow me to downclock it and FLASH the video cards bios so its always like that, even when logged into a different OS.

What I would do to completely rule out your Graphics card as being bad, just pull it out, and use the onboard graphics. If everything works fine=bad video card, if the same things still happen, you'll have to do more trouble shooting!

If your OC'ing your Q9550 to 3.4GHz, I would up the cpu vcore voltage to 1.25v, and make sure that your memory is running at it's SPD voltage.

Download the latest CPUZ, (free program), to check these voltages. A vcore setting of 1.200v in your bios, could mean that when windows is running your vcore is 1.175v, or 1.225v

But first pull that video card and rule it out!!! Just use the onboard video for now.

Because what your describing, could be many different things!

Do you have the program "Everest"?

That program is very good and will let you check all or most of your different system voltages!

What I would do to completely rule out your Graphics card as being bad, just pull it out, and use the onboard graphics. If everything works fine=bad video card, if the same things still happen, you'll have to do more trouble shooting!

If your OC'ing your Q9550 to 3.4GHz, I would up the cpu vcore voltage to 1.25v, and make sure that your memory is running at it's SPD voltage.

Download the latest CPUZ, (free program), to check these voltages. A vcore setting of 1.200v in your bios, could mean that when windows is running your vcore is 1.175v, or 1.225v

But first pull that video card and rule it out!!! Just use the onboard video for now.

Because what your describing, could be many different things!

Do you have the program "Everest"?

That program is very good and will let you check all or most of your different system voltages!

I did the next best thing, I took my Nvidia GeForce 9600GT OC, and replaced with an 8400GS geforce, and the overclocking worked like a charm. I think it has to do with the fact that my 9600Gt is factory overclocked to the max pretty much, so by changing the fsb, im overclocking it further... with the 8400gs, i am able to hit 3.8 ghz, it was pretty stable with memory being set to 900 mhz (800 is stock) though in Prime 95, it only got to the second set of tests before my system just froze.

So its definately the video card being overclocked further than it already is, since the 8400gs is just stock and works. Think the only way I will reach about 4 GHz is if I throw in 1,066 mhz RAM and set the fsb to 500.

Then again im not gunna keep using this 8400gs, i may look into GTX 290 or somethin similar, but first gunna do my homework with how well it goes with an overclocked system.

btw, I set the cpu voltage to 1.3 when i was at 3.8 ghz.

Cool!

Sounds like your getting it ironed out! Good job!

yea man, but I still find it kind of weird that I cannot underclock my graphics card to allow for a system overclock, other than using software to change the graphics settings.. unless anyone know of a program that can flash the graphics card bios so that its permanently changed? Warranty is not an issue to me.

Thanks for you help though Inteller

Cool!

Sounds like your getting it ironed out! Good job!

Do any of you recommend a motherboard? I am thinking of getting a DDR3 supported board and using 2000 mhz ram, or should I just fly up to the i7 and get a 1333 board? Ofcourse the i7 is better than the quad, but I mean is it THAT much better to justify the cost? Plus I just got this quad core, but I could always sell the system off. Any suggestions? Money isnt an issue... BUT i also dont just wanna buy stuff because its high priced, I want bang for the buck.

the fsb has nothing to do with the gpu.

so then why was I getting video card errors whenever I set the fsb too high using an overclocked GPU, and replaced with a non OC GPU and it was working? The 9600GT OC is fine when i dont have the system overclocked more than 10%. Do you know what would cause my system not to post when I change the PCI-E frequency to anything other than auto??? (it doesnt post, restarts, and goes back to 100% stock settings)