Who's watercooling their i7?

airman

Hey all - I received my new Promount setup to make my Dtek Fuzion v1 block work on my i7 setup. After setting it up as described, I tightened it down and pulled it back off to see the imprint from my thermal paste on the block. To my surprise, no contact was made at all. So - not good. The current setup is completely unmodified, which is strange because I can't think of a reason why this Promount would have failed so epicly. I was able to take some pieces from the original setup to make it sit lower (screws and springs) than the Promount would have originally.

I took a closer look and discovered that the IHS on the CPU does not sit much higher, if not flush with the mounting clamp that surrounds it. This made it very difficult to make it seat evenly, or at least it seemed to be. Did anyone have any issues with this?

At 3.7ghz and 1.25v, my temps are a little uncomfortable, at least for water.

Idle shows about 40c in the MSI Overclocking Utility and about 50c in OCCT. Load is shown below:

post-5662-1249178553_thumb.jpg

I'm considering just getting a new water block if another one is working for some others better. What say ye?

Edited by airman

Check the 4 screws that hold the mount to the block. The original screws sit higher then the block itself. On the i7 they will contact the clamp assembly of the socket resulting in little to no contact of the block.

Check the 4 screws that hold the mount to the block. The original screws sit higher then the block itself. On the i7 they will contact the clamp assembly of the socket resulting in little to no contact of the block.

Hmm. I'll try that. I didn't see it being an issue, but that makes sense. I'm assuming you must be running the same setup?

All 3 of mine that are water cooled use the Apogee GTZ with the 1366 adapter kit. Heatliller 3.0 is the next block I will try out.

I load in the 60's to low 70's at 4.0 to 4.2 depending on the chip and voltages needed(CO chips).

My DO 920 loads at 77C on air at 4.2 with a TRUE and 2 38MM fans push/pull

I dont know much about the Core i7's..but are temps in the 70's not way too high for a cpu?

ive only recently noticed how hot the i7's run

is it bad on these cpus? or is the architecture built to be able to withstand these temps?

Looking a little better now. Replacing those screws definitely dropped the temps.

Idle 35 in MSI Overclocking Center, and ~44 reading in OCCT...

loads here:

post-5662-1249183660_thumb.jpg

Obviously this is only running OCCT for a minute or two, and not "truely" an accurate load temp, but I can expect the hour OCCT to raise the temps a little higher than that due to the increased temp of the water. Thanks for the suggestion praz.

I feel a lot more comfortable now - time to start seeing what this D0 can do... :)

Edited by airman

Bumping the vcore up to 1.4v for OCCT stability at 4.1ghz, my temp readings in MSI Overclocking Center creeped up to 75C after running OCCT for 5 minutes, OCCT readings were in the mid-eighties. I don't know what temp to trust but I do know I don't like either of them...If I could stick a probe in there to get the most accurate reading, I would.

I know that the water block is making good contact as the air blowing out of my radiator became pretty toasty. Obviously in OCCT the chip is stressed 8x more than a more practical "load" so unless I'm loading 8 threads, then I don't really have a lot to worry about - while gaming, my loads hit 56 or so after about an hour (Bioshock). I played in windowed mode to keep an eye on it so I'm comfortable there. I just want to be able to get an OCCT stable clock but I can't do that with those uncomfortable temps. I'm running some Ceramique that's probably 4 years old (got a huge syringe of it) and I'm gonna try some AS5 on it when I get my hands on some.

Edited by airman