Overclock Q9550 to 3.4Ghz on a P5Q Turbo

Snaptrap

I want to overclock my system to at least 3.4Ghz or more. Below are my specs that may be needed to determine stability. Right now my processor is at 26c in Standard fan mode. Thanks!

CPU: Intel Q9550

MB: Asus P5Q Turbo

PSU: Enermax Liberty 620w

RAM: Patriot Extreme Viper Series 4GB

Cooling: Zalman CNPS9900

Case: CoolerMaster Sniper Storm

That should be a piece of cake! I took my Q9450 (a step down from yours) to 3.6GHz with very little tweaking. You should be able to push 3.8GHz or even 4.0. No one can tell you exactly what you need since every system, no matter how similar, is slightly different.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=71656

Read this and it should get you started. I doubt anyone is going to come along and just tell you what to set your voltages at if in fact that is what you were hoping for.

With that said with your setup it should be attainable.

Actually what I was hoping for is someone with same MB and CPU to post their tweaks.

Actually what I was hoping for is someone with same MB and CPU to post their tweaks.

every chip is different.

but i dont see why you wouldnt be able to get that high

im running the locked version , and i have a OC from 2.66 > 3ghz stable 24h prime95 , 375fsb 1.3vcore . nothing else really that tweaked , except ram runs at 901mhz over 800 :D

just make sure to set your graphics to the right frequency , wouldnt wana burn that out

Yeah, that's what everyone wants... the code to plug in and make it go fast.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. Chances are, even if someone had the EXACT same setup as you, their settings still wouldn't work for you. Every chip is different. Some need lots of voltage to OC, some need practically none, and they all have different max speeds. Every part is different. OCing the way you're trying to do it just doesn't really work.

If you still want to OC the real way, you should read up on the process and get comfortable with the basic settings that you'd be playing with. Then you could give it a shot and try to see what your own hardware can do and we can certainly help you along the way.

EDIT###

Here's a guide I made a while ago to explain the basics of overclocking. It's a bit old now, but the info is general enough that it's still pertinent.

Yeah, that's what everyone wants... the code to plug in and make it go fast.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. Chances are, even if someone had the EXACT same setup as you, their settings still wouldn't work for you. Every chip is different. Some need lots of voltage to OC, some need practically none, and they all have different max speeds. Every part is different. OCing the way you're trying to do it just doesn't really work.

If you still want to OC the real way, you should read up on the process and get comfortable with the basic settings that you'd be playing with. Then you could give it a shot and try to see what your own hardware can do and we can certainly help you along the way.

EDIT###

Here's a guide I made a while ago to explain the basics of overclocking. It's a bit old now, but the info is general enough that it's still pertinent.

I found someone overclock settings and used them but some settings crashed my system so I left some things on Auto and it booted fine. Now I'm just stress testing it. Suggestions?

AI Overclock tuner: Manual

CPU Ratio Setting: 8.5

FSB Strap to North Bridge: 400

FSB Frequency: 400

PCI-E Frequency: 100

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1066MHz

DRAM Timing Control: Auto

CPU Voltage: Auto

CPU GTL Voltage Reference: 0.63x

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.52

FSB Termination Voltage: 1.24

DRAM Voltage: 2.0

NB Voltage: 1.20

SB Voltage: 1.20

PCIE SATA Voltage: 1.60

Load Line Calibration: Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum: Auto

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Auto

CPU Clock Skew : Auto

NB Clock Skew : Auto

CPU Margin: Performance Mode

Advance CPU Settings

C1E Suppport: Enabled

Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled

Intel

OK, it passed the Intel BurnTest on maximum with 5 passes but the CPU temp reached 66c on that test. Thing is that the temp dropped to 38c immediately after the test stopped so I'm wondering if it's giving me innacurate readings?

You may want to look over the posts again from the people that ARE trying to help you.

You have settings on AUTO that MUST be set manually, plus you have things enabled that should be disabled, etc.

I don't think your going to get much help till you do a little work yourself (read a few OCing guides and learn what you are doing).

Also, put up CPU-Z on your screen and you'll see why your temps drop when idle.

Turns out that I only needed a few settings set to manual. The board automatically set the required voltages based on the clock settings I chose. In brackets are the auto settings that were changed from default. As you can see some were increased and others decreased. The board is stable and running at 65c at full load.

AI Overclock tuner: Manual

FSB Strap to North Bridge: 400

FSB Frequency: 400

PCI-E Frequency: 100

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1066MHz

DRAM Timing Control: Auto

CPU Voltage: Auto

CPU GTL Voltage Reference: Auto

CPU PLL Voltage: Auto (1.70)

FSB Termination Voltage: Auto (1.30)

DRAM Voltage: Auto (2.10)

NB Voltage: Auto (1.30)

SB Voltage: Auto

PCIE SATA Voltage: Auto

Load Line Calibration: Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum: Auto

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Auto

CPU Clock Skew : Auto

NB Clock Skew : Auto

CPU Margin: Performance Mode

Advance CPU Settings

C1E Suppport: Enabled

Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled

Intel

Turns out that I only needed a few settings set to manual. The board automatically set the required voltages based on the clock settings I chose. In brackets are the auto settings that were changed from default. As you can see some were increased and others decreased. The board is stable and running at 65c at full load.

Just because your mobo automatically sets the settings for you that doesnt mean you shouldnt put them in manual for you, Some mobos say auto when infact yes they are auto but the mobo bios will managed those settings based on cpu and hardware needs. to overclock to great clocks you should be on manual for most settings because even the slightest drop in those auto voltages can mean the difference in a success or total failure.

but i will give you an idea on what a Q9550 will do here but please keep in mind i have a gigabyte EP45-UD3r mobo. not an Asus like yours and as others have said no 1 chip is EXACTLY alike. all mobo and cpus act differently on each clock its up to you to find that potential sweetspot with your rig. My suggestion since i made a post EXACTLY like yours 3 weeks ago. Do your homework first BEFORE you try to OVERCLOCK, not doing so could result in a catastrophic burn up on your chip mobo or both. The Q9550 doesnt need as much voltages as other processors but from my reading it is very sensitive to voltage changes as you can see on my post for my overclock.

Personally i would do your homework first before you overclock past your current. Oh and btw your CPU voltage SHOULD NEVER BE SET TO AUTO when overclocking

I wish you the best of luck with whatever it is you're doing here, but it's not overclocking. Overclocking is carefully testing and studying the performance of your processor to determine exactly how high you can push it. What you're doing is shooting in the dark. The major problem for you will be when something goes wrong. You're not going to have any idea how to fix it because you don't seem to have any idea what all the settings that you're messing with are.