temp and voltage question

xKoRY

first off my vcore, in bios it is set to 1.45, but the bios, hw monitor, and cpu z all read my voltage around 1.6. then hw monitor has 2 readings for my cpu and i dont know wich to go off of, one says its at 85c and one says its sitting around 40 - 44c.

post-18608-1246386095_thumb.jpg

Edited by xKoRY

the core temps are what you want to be looking at (try RealTemp, or CoreTemp programs for the most accurate temperature readings). put your hand near the cooler, does the air coming off of it seem warm/hot?

the core temps are what you want to be looking at (try RealTemp, or CoreTemp programs for the most accurate temperature readings). put your hand near the cooler, does the air coming off of it seem warm/hot?

warm, not to bad though.

For temperatures, you want to use CoreTemp or RealTemp. There are others out there that you may want to test out later, but for getting a few quick and reliable readings, these are really the accepted standards. Load them up ASAP.

As for the vCore, the readings will change a lot. This is normal. CPU-Z is a pretty accepted standard here, but even that one varies quite a bit. Some people will try to act hard-core and imply that the only real way to do it is to take DMM readings on the board itself, but first of all this runs many risks and also still doesn't mean much unless you have other readings taken in a similar fashion to compare to.

For me, I just go by what I set in the BIOS. If I set my E7400 to run 1.375v in the BIOS, then I assume that's what it's at. It's all relative anyways so you can't ever really win. The main thing is just having numbers to use comparatively, and the BIOS settings work fine for that. Then beyond that, I don't even care much anyways because at that point I just focus on core temps.

put your hand near the cooler, does the air coming off of it seem warm/hot?

Really? Did we get a cross-link to Yahoo! answers somehow? :P

Really? Did we get a cross-link to Yahoo! answers somehow? :P

I'm just saying that if the processor was really runnin' up in the eighties, that you can definitely feel some hot air coming off the heatsink (I remember when my Prescott would run at like 77 and have pretty hot air coming off)

Edited by IVIYTH0S