Looking to undervolt a C2D E7400

Hey,

I just got a new computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 processor @2.8GHz. The computer is getting warmer than it should, so I'd like to lower the clock speed down to 2.53GHz and undervolt it as much as possible. Can anyone give me advice on the approximate minimum stable voltage for an E7400 running at 2.53GHz?

Thanks!

Before undervolting and decreasing performance you should find out how to reduce your temps in a different manner.

What are your CPU temps? What cooler are you using

Before undervolting and decreasing performance you should find out how to reduce your temps in a different manner.

What are your CPU temps? What cooler are you using

I'm not concerned with the performance decrease. This particular computer is carrying a very light workload, and it's actually replacing a computer that had a 1.0GHz CPU, so 2.53GHz would still be a massive improvement. Not to mention, it's also an all-in-one unit, so making hardware changes (like custom coolers) is too risky.

The CPU idles at about 50-54, rising to almost 70 when playing a DVD, most likely even higher when playing a Blu-ray disc.

Even better, if you're not looking to overclock just enable Speedstep.

That sounds familiar. Could you maybe remind me what that is and how to enable it?

If you didn't turn off speedstep, it should be already on.

How could your computer be getting too hot if you haven't overclocked it? Did you use the stock fan and heatsink?

If you didn't turn off speedstep, it should be already on.

How could your computer be getting too hot if you haven't overclocked it? Did you use the stock fan and heatsink?

As I said, this computer is an all-in-one unit (similar to an iMac), so I don't have much choice but to use the stock fan and heatsink. I'm not really sure WHY the cooling isn't very good, but I want to fix it, and I've fixed this kind of problem by undervolting before. I recently had to retire a laptop due to CPU heat damage, and it had never been overclocked.

I didn't turn off Speedstep, so it's obviously not working well enough. I'm just trying to figure out a safe increment to undervolt by, cause I really don't want to make it too low by accident.

Stock fan and heatsink is fine if you don't overclock. What are your temps right now? Maybe there's not enough air circulation in the case? Try tidying up the cables? Is there a lot of dust? You may want to clean the dust.

Stock fan and heatsink is fine if you don't overclock. What are your temps right now? Maybe there's not enough air circulation in the case? Try tidying up the cables? Is there a lot of dust? You may want to clean the dust.

The computer's idling right now, so the temps are around 50-55. The power cable is the only thing plugged into it. There is no dust yet, cause the computer's brand new.

I reckon you should check the amount of thermal paste and re-seat the heatsink.

I'm really not familiar enough with this type of computer to be comfortable doing anything physical with the hardware. Not to mention, I'm not the primary user of the machine. I'm not about to mess around with the hardware of a computer that someone else uses, especially when I've never worked with an all-in-one unit before. I want to undervolt because I have some experience in that area, and it's comparatively easy to do.

If it's an all-in-one unit, and you brought it pre-built(?) you might not be able to get into any more of the advanced BIOS options, if you can, undervolting isn't going to do anything but make the system unstable.

Your best is to, again if you can even get into these options, lower the FSB or multiplier and go from there.

If it's an all-in-one unit, and you brought it pre-built(?) you might not be able to get into any more of the advanced BIOS options, if you can, undervolting isn't going to do anything but make the system unstable.

Your best is to, again if you can even get into these options, lower the FSB or multiplier and go from there.

I'm going to check out the available BIOS options tomorrow. If you'll read my original post, you'll see that my plan is to lower the clock speed from 2.80GHz to 2.53GHz. Only after that step would I then undervolt as much as I could WITHOUT making the system unstable. Unless, of course, I can reduce the temperature just by lowering the clock speed; is that even possible?