Prime 95 question

Basically,i have oc'ed my new E5200 to 3.4ghz,and ive had no problems within windows or playing games so far.My question is,do i really need to do an 8hr prime test to test 'stability'.If i get an error after say,6hrs,does that mean the cpu will be damaged if i continued at that speed,or does it mean it will cause the occasional hiccup from time to time? Im about 1hr or so in on prime 95,small fft.

Windows was being a b*tch after i installed the new cpu! I will activate it later!

Edited by 00stevo

1. My question is,do i really need to do an 8hr prime test to test 'stability'.

2. If i get an error after say,6hrs,does that mean the cpu will be damaged if i continued at that speed,or

3. does it mean it will cause the occasional hiccup from time to time?

1. Not really

2. No

3. Possibly

If it survives an hour or two running Prime, chances are it'll do fine for gaming/daily use

:)

Edited by Zertz

If it survives an hour or two running Prime, chances are it'll do fine for gaming/daily use

:)

Nope not really! At an hour in you have only run through 4 of the tests in the loop maximum. 1 memory subsytem test and and 3 cpu tests do not a stable machine make. 24 hours is the minimum you should be able to pass without errors for trouble free operation. An error is an error and the little hiccups have a cumulative effect on the stability of the OS. Do yourself a favor and if you overclock a computer take the time to get it right or you will get to learn one of the other joys of overclocking done wrong....corrupt data and constantly reloading the OS. Done right you wont have any problems.