Best overclocking method?

Is it better to overclock the cpu with HIGH base clock Low multiplier or low base clock high multiplier?

Or is it the same for both

If you have a high base clock with good RAM then it is better than higher multiplier. This is because a higher base clock will make your RAM faster as well, therefore increasing the speed of your whole computer.

Besides that though, it is basically the same.

With the Phenom II I would recommend doing what I've done and even things out so to speak. First, OC your cpu with just the multiplier and see how high you can get it. Then lower it back down but leave your voltage the same. Then OC with the base clock, and keep your cpu well below the max speed you found earlier until your RAM can't go any higher. Then aim to get that base clock, and adjust the multiplier to get to the CPU speed you had found previously. This will get you the fastest CPU and RAM speeds and so your best performance. Also, on that board (i have same one) you can raise the NB speed up to around 2400-2500MHz (not really NB, but the L3 cache on CPU). This makes the cache run faster, thus reducing latency and improving bandwidth and will get more performance out of your cpu.

With the Phenom II I would recommend doing what I've done and even things out so to speak. First, OC your cpu with just the multiplier and see how high you can get it. Then lower it back down but leave your voltage the same. Then OC with the base clock, and keep your cpu well below the max speed you found earlier until your RAM can't go any higher. Then aim to get that base clock, and adjust the multiplier to get to the CPU speed you had found previously. This will get you the fastest CPU and RAM speeds and so your best performance. Also, on that board (i have same one) you can raise the NB speed up to around 2400-2500MHz (not really NB, but the L3 cache on CPU). This makes the cache run faster, thus reducing latency and improving bandwidth and will get more performance out of your cpu.

Hey XxHellxRaizerxX...

What's your specs for your overclock?? I got my to 3.6GHz on a x18 multiplier and 1.36 volts.... I know I won't have the same results but it doesn't hurt to try :)

When I do the base clocks it crashes on me... :(

Edited by RaPiDo987

You probably have unstable RAM. Try turning the RAM down to 800 or 667. If you run you RAM to far over 1066 it will become unstable.

Currently I'm running 3.5GHz with a 15.5x Multi and 226MHz Base clock at 1.408v. HT Link is 1800MHz, NB is 2486MHz, and RAM is at 452MHz (904MHz DDR). However I get my new Dark Knight tomorrow so... we'll see ;)

Edited by XxHellxRaizerxX

You probably have unstable RAM. Try turning the RAM down to 800 or 667. If you run you RAM to far over 1066 it will become unstable.

Currently I'm running 3.5GHz with a 15.5x Multi and 226MHz Base clock at 1.408v. HT Link is 1800MHz, NB is 2486MHz, and RAM is at 452MHz (904MHz DDR). However I get my new Dark Knight tomorrow so... we'll see ;)

I have it set to 1066, 5-5-5-15 on a 2.2v...

Are you running your overclock on a stock cooler? if so, how are your temps? Good over on a stock cooler though.... :thumbs-up:

I have it set to 1066, 5-5-5-15 on a 2.2v...

Are you running your overclock on a stock cooler? if so, how are your temps? Good over on a stock cooler though.... :thumbs-up:

yes, but if you have it set to 1066 and you then increase your base clock, the RAM increases as well. Set your RAM to 800 or lower and then increase you base clock and you can get your RAM back up to 1066 or over. This way you can OC your CPU higher without running into your RAM limitations first.