Better cooling worth it or not?

I've been running a Phenom II 940 since Mid-February and with the stock cooler I've been sitting at 3.5GHz at 1.42v. My temps aren't "great" but they are around 52C-54C under OCCT load. Typical 60-80% load from the FAH instances I have running keep it around 48-50C. My question is, do you think it would be worth it to spend $40 on the XIGMATEK HDT-1284EE? There's no telling how much more headroom I really have and would the possible headroom warrant spending the $40? I do a lot of gaming and video editing on this computer along with FAH (for OCC of course). I've hit 3.6GHz with 1.46v but couldn't tell how stable it was as the temperatures quickly got into the mid 60's and I stopped the test. Thanks in Advance!

;)

qoute went wrong LOL

I was going to say that! :rolleyes: LOL

those temps seem under control to me well under control so I don't think there is any need at this point...run prime95 than see ;)

Edited by AMG

qoute went wrong LOL

I was going to say that! :rolleyes: LOL

those temps seem under control to me well under control so I don't think there is any need at this point...run prime95 than see ;)

yea, i know they are fine now, but do you think it would be worth the $40 to get the better cooler and try and get higher? Like would the possible headroom give enough performance boost to warrant getting the cooler?

Edited by XxHellxRaizerxX

if you are planning pushing the chip further yes...its better than keeping stock and killing a nice CPU and having to replace it $40 is nothing compared to $200-250 and you would than buy a new cpu cooler also, thats how I think of cooling I shouldn't have said that earlier tbh as its always techincly worth better cooling

The cooler you make your chip the better. (unless you go extreme and run into a cold bug of some sort)

:)

Wouldn't you feel good knowing that at your current OC with a $40-50 cooler you will pretty much NEVER hit thermal shutdown?

Its just an extra precautionary measure, plus at some point down the line you can bump that OC up a bit without worries...

The cooler you make your chip the better. (unless you go extreme and run into a cold bug of some sort)

:)

Wouldn't you feel good knowing that at your current OC with a $40-50 cooler you will pretty much NEVER hit thermal shutdown?

Its just an extra precautionary measure, plus at some point down the line you can bump that OC up a bit without worries...

yea that's true, so I've heard a lot of good things about the XIGMATEK coolers so do you think the HDT-S1284EE would be a good cooler to go with? Cause it's the same price as the Dark Knight but has 4 pipes instead of 3. I like the looks on the Dark Knight, is there any performance differences between the two?

Edit: I think I've decided for the Dark Knight cause I've read that the 4 heatpipe version actually performs worse due to the placement or something.

Edited by XxHellxRaizerxX