rotating megahalems on gigabyte ex58 extreme

Just received my Gigabyte ex58 extreme and Prolimatech Megahalems cpu cooler. Am installing tonite..

Just read on another forum that i will have some interference with the 120/25 fan and the memory slots :blink: . I can put the fan on the other side of the cooler, but then it's not blowing the heat out of the case....

Wondering if space permits if there is a problem rotating the cooler 90 degrees so I can put the fan on the bottom aiming to the top of the case, and out the exhaust fans on the top...

anybody have this mb/cooler combo??

thx,

b.

yes, i saw that. That article is what alerted me to the memory/fan situation. ( look at the bottom of the page, last three paragraphs and pictures there. )

looks like i need to rotate the cooler if possible to avoid this situation. or maybe a 20mm thick fan might do the trick...

Dottie,

I've never used that cooler before, but if you'll look at the very last photo here, you will see that the cooler has been tested in that orientation on your exact same board.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html...W50aGlzdWFzdA==

Regards

Ah yes, I see now. It does block a slot and the retention clip won't even clasp shut. If a 20mm thick fan would give you the clearance you need here are a couple of links (and the company is very reputable).

http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120x120x...ed-pr-3826.html

http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120x120x...ed-pr-3825.html

Be advised however that you may need to bend the existing spring retainers or find another retention method for the slimmer fans.

Good luck.

I ordered up two 120 x 20 Yates Loon fans, medium speed, from frozencpu last nite.

Since i am going to a lower cfm fan, i think i'll use two in the push/pull config...

am going to tywrap the fans to the megahalems..not the cleanest look, but should be fully functional...

read somewhere yesterday about another person mounting the fans this way....

looks like the build will have to wait 3-5 days, could not bring myself to go anyway but fedex ground for 12 bucks worth of fans!!

Ah yes, I see now. It does block a slot and the retention clip won't even clasp shut. If a 20mm thick fan would give you the clearance you need here are a couple of links (and the company is very reputable).

http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120x120x...ed-pr-3826.html

http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120x120x...ed-pr-3825.html

Be advised however that you may need to bend the existing spring retainers or find another retention method for the slimmer fans.

Good luck.

I thought of doing this temporarily, but then i would have to pull the mb to put the new fans in...agggggh

not sure how efficient the 'pull' method is, i've never seen this method employed in an overclocking situation...

this will be a general use computer, want to achieve highest clockrate possible while keeping load temps in the 60's max...

i'll just bite the bullet and wait till next wednesday and get the twin fans installed for maximum cooling...

You could also put it on the other side but make it pull the air instead of pushing it. Then it would be exhausted through the back of the case. :)

Is there a max amps that the CPU header will support on the mb?? Since i'm hooking up two fans to the cooler, i might have to go directly to the power supply versus the CPU fan header on the mb....

I like the push pull idea with the 2 20mm Yate-Loon.

Splendid!

Is there a max amps that the CPU header will support on the mb?? Since i'm hooking up two fans to the cooler, i might have to go directly to the power supply versus the CPU fan header on the mb....

Yes, check out the manual. It's usually below 10W, but this is a high end board so it might be more. I know the Asus Rampage Gene supports up to 25W :O

As a general rule of thumb all of my 120mm fans go directly to a power supply rail.

If you have your heart set on using the mb headers, try to keep it one fan per header instead of teaming them up and using a single mb header. You've probably got some additional fan headers on your motherboard you could utilize.

better safe than sorry....maybe i'll split it....one on the CPUFAN plug and one on a rail....

2 days till fans arrive!!

As a general rule of thumb all of my 120mm fans go directly to a power supply rail.

If you have your heart set on using the mb headers, try to keep it one fan per header instead of teaming them up and using a single mb header. You've probably got some additional fan headers on your motherboard you could utilize.