AMD FX-57 overheating!

Hi Guys,

The rig labelled IRL in my sig, is at my parents house in Ireland. I use it whenever I stay over there, and do light gaming on it. (HL2:DM etc) at low res (only got an old CRT hooked up, so 1024x768), meaning its got more than enough power to run what I need.

However, ever since I moved it there, it overheats under load. I am using the stock heat sink for the FX-57, with an adapter from 80mm -> 120mm and then a 120mm Antec Tri-cool fan on top.

If I am sat at desktop, browsing the web etc, it will idle at around 34-35. Regardless of fan speed setting. Even on low, it will never top 40.

Yet, as soon as I fire up a game, like HL2:DM, the temp starts to rise, and after about 20-30 mins, it will shutdown, as the CPU hits 70+. With the fan on full whack, I can extend the time to about 40-45 mins, but it still hits the thermal cut off eventually.

I did the standard, cleaned out the CPU heatsink, reapplied themal paste etc.

Still, no better. Cant pass OCCT, fails after about 30 mins, with CPU heat as the error.

I am wondering, whats the best way to sort this?

One part of me says, just buy a nice big CPU cooler and be done. (Suggestions welcome, currently got my eye on another TRUE)

Another part of me wants to experiment.

I have always wanted to toy with the idea of water cooling, and even more so with the idea of having the pump/res/raditor else where, IE, not making noise in my room. For a virtually silent PC, bar the PSU fan, and the HDD's.

So, I came up with this crazy idea, right above my room where the PC sits, is the house water tank. There is already some holes for cables going from my room to the attic. I was thinking, would it be possible to say, put a pond pump in the water tank, and then cool the CPU/GPU that way? Would the water in the tank be too dirty? IF so, could it be filtered?

The tank is quiet large, not sure how much it holds, but easily the size of a bath tub. Would I need a radiator to cool the water? OR would the sheer volume of water (and the constant cycle of the water as it is used and refilled) be enough?

I know this solution would work out more expensive, but I have always wanted to mess with a more interesting water cooling solution.

So, my question, is it feasable?

Would a normal Pump be able to pump the water down 1 floor to my room, and then back up? Pond pump? Or normal WC pump?

Thanks!

You could set up the tubing so that once the water has passed into the CPU block, it gets thrown away. The gravity alone would probably be enough to get sufficient pressure.

I had already thought of setting WC from the tap. We just need to make sure there is no leak because this water is not non-conductive.