Why do they make CPU's the way they do?

This doesn't even make sense.

Making the die larger won't help heat get away from the CPU any faster. It'd waste silicon (a lot of it) and make CPUs more expensive for no gain at all.

The CPU being tiny doesn't really hurt heat dissipation using normal heat sinks (thanks to heat spreaders). On high-end heat sinks it's sometimes beneficial to remove the IHS to improve heat transmission into the heat sink but more often than not these days it doesn't help (or hurt) anything at all.

Smaller processors are required to actually make them go faster. As has been noted wire delays are the enemy of speed. The Pentium 4 had a bunch of pipeline stages that did nothing just to let the signal propagate around the chip because the process wasn't small enough.

Edited by Waco

God damn all you people and your logical thinking!

:P I had to build a processor simulator this past semester for my architecture class. The prof spent half of the time talking about how the P4 was such a bad design (in terms of future improvements) so I had to say something. :lol:

yea, kinda pulling off of what you said, adding more silicon and more transistors would just keep the same "heat production/surface area ratio" and just add more total heat to the equation would it not?

Nice extrapolation. I certainly have to agree with you, otherwise I would be saying my first response was full of it!

:P I had to build a processor simulator this past semester for my architecture class. The prof spent half of the time talking about how the P4 was such a bad design (in terms of future improvements) so I had to say something. :lol:

My P4 ran at 77C no matter what!! lol I loved the step from that to my e6600, WHAT a difference (I hear my old Preshott is still running today though, it was a good processor despite it's heat output. I sold it to a friend)

Well, your professor is right. Netburst sucked :P

Definitely...but at the same time I'd rather learn about something that didn't suck. :P