Water Pump Lift

Savan

Im trying to find a battery operated pump that has good lift but the best I can find is 18". If I get an adapter to decrease the hose size from 1'id to 1/2'id, will that increase the lift to 36'?

Im trying to find a battery operated pump that has good lift but the best I can find is 18". If I get an adapter to decrease the hose size from 1'id to 1/2'id, will that increase the lift to 36'?

Why do you want a battery operated pump? There's too much risk involved if the batteries run low or possibly out of juice. The MCP-355 and other 12v pumps draw so little power that some can be powered by a fan header.

How much water are you looking to shift?

Car windscreen washer pumps are quite powerful and you could probably pick one up very cheap from a car scrapyard.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Paul

You could power a Laing D5 from a car battery (they are rated 8-24V so could cope with 12V +/- 4V), and that would give you a lot of lift...

Along the same lines, as Paul says, any pump from a car would run at ~12V and give decent performance... so scrapyard seems like a good bet

to answer your question about increasing/decreasing the size of the pipe to increase lift, technically yeah. the mass of the water being lifted would be less (smaller diameter X the same height). but, the pressure at the bottom of the column is the same regardless of diameter: p = p(o) +R(g*h) (pressure = air pressure + density of water * gravity * height).